Baby Showers

Gifts, & Registering

My fianc? and his parents assure me I will have a baby shower (not sure when yet, I just know it won't be a surprise) His mother keeps pushing me to register at babies r us. I'm not entirely sure I want to register. I don't want to tell my fianc?s friends and family they have to get me things. I'm a little shy when it comes to asking for things, and I'd like to be surprised when I open the gifts, is it really any fun if you know what you're getting? Anyways, baby things are expensive, and guests may be able to find things cheaper at a different store or something. I was thinking of putting a wish-list in with invitations that way they aren't obligated to look at a certain store for a certain item. Maybe I'm looking into it to much, I just dont know what to do about it. Part of me wants to register, I believe it helps make sure I get what I need and want and the guests can make sure they don't buy the same gift. I just want everyone to be happy.

Re: Gifts, & Registering

• A registry IS a wish-list, and much less tacky than putting a full list in the invitations. 

Register for an array of prices.  People will buy what they want to buy, and either they'll buy something from their registry or they won't.  It's not dictating anything to them.

And I know for myself, I'd much rather KNOW what the mom needs vs trying to guess. I always buy from the registry. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

A registry IS a wish-list, and much less tacky than putting a full list in the invitations. 

Register for an array of prices.  People will buy what they want to buy, and either they'll buy something from their registry or they won't.  It's not dictating anything to them.

And I know for myself, I'd much rather KNOW what the mom needs vs trying to guess. I always buy from the registry. 

yes.

If someone already has a gift in mind for you they will purchase it. If the person says "hmmm, I wonder what she needs" that when the registry is nice for the guests. Takes the pressure off.  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • imageEstwd2:
    There's nothing suckier for a guest than to see you open a gift from someone else that's the exact same gift they got you. Plus you'll have to deal with returns and exchanges for all duplicates. Just register.

Not only is it embarrassing to the guests, it is to you too. Trust me. I have seen more than one mom get flustered opening a second highchair or bathtub.  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Register at a couple of places to give people options and register at a variety of price points so there is something for everyone. I personally liked Buy Buy Baby because not only can you use their coupons, even expired, you can use Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupons there too.
  • A registry isn't a gun to their head.  If they think it's stupid or too expensive they just won't buy it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • You should register.  Some people will buy off of it and some people wont.  Some people like to go together to get a big gift that they know you need like a swing, pack and play, high chair, etc.  Some people will buy clothes and diapers. Usually with the big gifts, you will get gift receipts.   There is a wide variety of things you can put on a registry.  For me it was very helpful to keep track of what I needed.  It doesnt take the fun out of it at all - you will have so many things to open and will be amazed at the stuff people have been so generous to give you and baby.  Just enjoy it and dont overthink it.

• You are actually taking the guess work out of the process for the guests by registering. When I used to go to baby showers before I got pregnant and before I paid any attention to babies, I would have been totally lost when looking for shower gifts without registries!
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Think of it as a running list of things you're going to need.  

If you don't want to register at BRU exclusively, you could always do an Amazon registry which would allow you to add stuff from any store (Walmart, Target, Macy's, BRU, Carter's, etc) via the universal wishlist.  

This way you'll have stuff you need, at different price points, and you'll get a completion coupon so you can get the rest of your stuff at a discount when you're close to your due date.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You're overthinking this. A shower is an event when people SHOWER YOU WITH GIFTS. How will they know what you want if you don't register?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"