July 2013 Moms
Options

Can I spray paint my crib and change table?

I got a used/cheap crib and change table.... some real wood, some fake wood and I want to paint it white.  Is there a spray paint that is baby safe?

Any recommendations welcome :) 

Re: Can I spray paint my crib and change table?

• Options

I'd be more hesitant spray painting a crib just because a child uses it so much but not a changing table. However I think spray paint has come a long way in the last few years. I'd check with the blog younghouselove they always try to use enviromentally friendly products and paint and I know she's done some furniture revamping with spray paint. Also, this may be helpful to refer to...

https://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2010/08/everything-i-know-about-spray-paint.html

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

My friend received her changing table from a family member, and they painted it.  Her husband spray-painted it outside, and left it in the garage for a couple of weeks.    They did it months before the baby was born, and that gave them lots of time for the furniture to "breath" and release the VOCs outside of the house. .  

https://indoorairnerd.com/vocs/how-long-does-it-take-for-vocs-to-dissipate

We are buying a painted crib & also painting a hand me down changing table.  The changing table will be painted at the beginning of May, outside, then left in the garage for a while.  

I also plan on  using Krylon's H2O latex paint.   

TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We painted out crib and you just need to make sure you get safe paint, there is nothing wrong with painting the crib as long as you do it right!   

• Options

My husband just painted our changing table/dresser for the nursery in the kitchen, he asked for the lowest fume paint and I came home and could not smell anything-not even with my superpower pregnancy nose! We had the window open a crack as well just to keep air flow. But nowadays they make paint that is safe to use around pregnant women-just be sure to ask.

Edit: He painted it with a roller- and In my opinion I think that would cover and look a lot better than spray painting. However- I think I would go with a roller and paint just to be safe as the spray paint would be putting more aerosol spray in the air if you were in the same room with him while he was painting. 

Anniversary
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"