High-Risk Pregnancy

Third pregnancy

Here I am again. With my first son I went into labor at 36 weeks, he was in the NICU for two and a half weeks. My 2nd was born at 34 weeks, but thanks to the hormone injections he only stayed in the NICU for a week and a half. Both boys are wonderful and healthy. Recently I found out I am pregnant again, I of course looked for the best Dr. my insurance would allow and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. I am worried and scared. With my first son there was never a reason determined. With my 2nd I had a horrible case of unknown polyhydramnios. I realize that there is no research out there that says that I will have the same condition again, but all I can think of is my last MFM Dr.s words. He was so kind, but basically told me that if I have anymore children I would be on bed rest forever, that I would go even earlier. This baby was not planned, and to be honest there are times I can barely breathe I am so scared. Is there anyone out there who has had more than one pre-term labor?

Re: Third pregnancy

• I went into PTL with my first two but they were able to stop it. I have Lupus, had a stroke, hips are replaced and I am having twins this time around. My doc told me bed rest at 20 weeks and that would be that. I am hoping that I can just remain stable and calm and keep the babies where they need to be. I know how hard it is with two but you're going to have to take it easy or as easy as you can.

Ask the doc if it would be wise to start getting steroid injections at a certain week to help the babys lungs mature if you do go into PTL.  

• I had my first DD at 33w 4 due to pre-e & PTL. We decided to have another baby after much discussion with my OB about the chances of having another preemie. I was monitored very closely the second time around, given 17p shots, weekly BP checks, etc. I was put on bed rest at 32 weeks and was able to keep DD2 cooking for almost two more weeks. She was born at 34w 5d and spent 14 days in the NICU.

My advice is try to stay calm as much as possible. Bed rest is really not all that bad, obviously I wasn't on it for most of my pregnancy, but if I had to do it all over again, I would do bed rest in a heart beat, if it might my baby had a better chance at survival.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. 

• Loading the player...
  • i understand 100% where you are coming from. I am pregnant with baby #3 and delivered early for both DS and DD. DS thankfully did not have to stay in the NICU but DD did for almost 2 weeks. This pregnancy was very unplanned and at times i also feel that I cant breathe thinking about all the things that can go wrong, especially because i suffered from PRE ECLAMPSIA with DD.

My best advice is, take it one day at a time, as I am trying my hardest to do. Good luck :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am on my 3rd pregnancy as well, and considered high risk again.  With my first, I was put on hospital bed rest at 30 weeks for extremely low amniotic fluid (it was around a 4, and they don't want you to be below an 8) and they gave me the steroid shot for the lungs because they told me I could have my baby in 2 days or 2 weeks.  Luckily I was able to stay at that 4 for about 2 weeks, and then it dropped to about a 2 and it was no longer better for her to be inside of me than not.  So, I had her at 32 weeks and she spent about 5 weeks in NICU. Six months later we found out we were pregnant with #2 (completely not planned).  I had an ultrasound every few weeks starting at 16 weeks to check the fluid level and growth.  I was always on that borderline of an 8 with my fluid.  I went into PTL around 26 weeks, which they were able to stop, but they still gave me the steroid shot due to my history.  My fluid dropped to a 6 at 36 1/2 weeks, and I was having some contractions but not dialating or anything, so they decided to take her out that day via c-section.  This time around, I'm still being watched like a hawk, and they are also going to give me progesterone shots every week starting at 16 weeks.  So, just take it one day at a time and enjoy the thought of bringing a new life into this world.  Even though my pregnancies have been all but normal, I wouldn't trade having my two girls for anything.  Good luck to you and I hope all is well with your 3rd pregnancy.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had a bad experience with the Dr. I chose after reading a lot. I had some bleeding last week, and they refused to see me. Even though the bleeding stopped I had hopped they would do an ultrasound for peace of mind. I decided after a long conversation with my DH that we needed a new Dr. this morning I set an appointment for next week with a different Dr. I spoke with the nurse and she said if I have anymore bleeding since I am high risk to call asap. After having a horrible experience with a midwife last pregnancy I refuse to be treated by someone who is going to brush me aside. Last time it got serious and it took three days to reverse what could have been helped immediately. So I will see how this new dr works out and I will post after my talk with him. Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"