March 2013 Moms

Percocet and breastfeeding

So my little prince decided to come early and was born at 0300 on 2-24-13. Well after a very quick labor (less than 12 hours and a FTM) it was time to push. Long story short I had a 2nd degree tear and have stitches. I have been in pretty significant pain since, so much so that I am going to call my ob tomorrow to get checked since its not getting better. Anyway, so I was taking Percocet and ibuprofen at the hospital for pain and was sent home on it too. I have been taking approx 3 percocet pills daily for pain (and even that doesnt seem to curb the pain entirely). I haven't thought much about it and did the stupid thing of looking online at Percocet and safety while breastfeeding. My doctor knows I'm breastfeeding and so does the lactation support center that I visited today for a postpartum appointment. No one has mentioned anything about the percocet not being safe for baby. I know I shouldn't have looked it up online, because now I'm freaking out that it says its only moderately safe. I can't imagine not taking it at all right now since I am in so much pain without it (crying in pain). Am I freaking out for no reason?? 

Re: Percocet and breastfeeding

• I've been playing around with birth plan stuff recently and one of the questions is "do you want to be given percocet (and/or something else) for pain".. I had the same question as you so I asked my Dr. He told me that in it's prescribed dose, it is perfectly safe for breastfeeding.. If it makes you feel better though, call your doc in the morning. Congrats on being a momma!
  • Congrats on your little one!

You are ok taking percocet while breastfeeding.  In fact, if you are in so much pain, you can take more.  I heard from multiple doctors/nurses that you can take 2 pills every 4 hours.  

I had bumped up my dose to 2 pills when I first returned home just because I was moving around so much more than I had at the hospital.  After a few days I was taking only 1 percocet less often, more like 6-8 hours between doses.  I then switched between percocet and ibuprofen.  

Try not to worry and take care of yourself so you are more comfortable and recover. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I had a c/s the first time around and was on Percocet for about 1 1/2 weeks. My girls were preemies, and were eating milk that I pumped while on Percocet. It was not a problem, even with my delicate little babies. Best of luck - I hope you heal quickly.
    *Siggy warning - loss mentioned*
    Preemie ID DDs; then DS; then natural M/C; now due 10/17
    High risk for pre-term: weekly Makena injections
  • Ah thanks guys!! This definitely makes me feel better!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"