April 2013 Moms

Met with pediatrician.

So I interviewed a pediatrician today and before I even got there I basically had already decided this was the one based off of great recommendations from friends and family and their office is 5 minutes from my house. Anyways I didn't have many questions because their website answered most of them..just basically what happens when she's on vacation, when does baby get certain vaccinations..yadda yadda yadda. The short interview went great and I absolutely love the place, it's very welcoming and the whole staff is super friendly and warm. I really enjoyed my time there up until they handed me this huge thing of formula and formula coupons...I really feel strongly about breast feeding and I know it's not for everyone and I'm not trying to force my opinion down your throat but it just made me feel strange. They asked me out right if I planned on breast feeding and I said yes and then they go and hand me this thing of formula...I didn't say anything about it, just simply thanked them and went about my day but it just keeps bugging me. I feel like they will be the type of office that if there is a hiccup with baby and I learning how to breast feed and we are having a small issue instead of encouraging me to work on it they would tell me to start supplementing. And now that I think of it most of the people that I know that use them formula feed.
Do you think I should stick with this place and just be stubborn about my stance on breast feeding with them or should I look at other pediatricians that push the pro breast milk thing more?
BabyFruit Ticker
BabyName Ticker image

Re: Met with pediatrician.

• I mean, just because they suggest you do something doesn't mean you have to do it -- if you REALLY like the doctor, then you can probably work around that.  I think most offices give out freebie formula samples and stuff.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Honestly, if BF is important to you, I would find a pedi who supports it. BF babies can gain weight differently than FF, and it can seem like a BF LO isn't gaining enough. You don't want your pedi essentially telling you that you're starving your baby. BF is HARD psychologically, and you'll need lots of support. There will (likely) be so many times when you doubt your supply, and the opinion of a medical professional holds a lot of weight. 

If you do stick with this pedi, I would seek out other breastfeeding advocates to support you: La Leche League meetings, lactation consultant, nursing cafe at a local CD store if available, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • Exact same story with the pediatrician I chose, it's just what they do. In the interview he actually very much encouraged and supported breast feeding. The formula handout didn't make me feel awkward at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just donate the samples to the food bank or something. Doctor's get these samples and they give them away. Doesn't mean they don't support breastfeeding.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• imagekgs0505:
    Just donate the samples to the food bank or something. Doctor's get these samples and they give them away. Doesn't mean they don't support breastfeeding.

This. My OB's office also gives me samples. The hospital will too with the take home tote they give you. It doesn't mean they are pushing you to FF, just that they get these samples to give out to new moms. I would keep it God forbid something happens and you can't BF. BFing is not rainbows and butterflies, and even the most dedicated mamas end up FF or supplementing with formula. If everything does work out for you and you don't need to formula, do what PP said and donate it to someone who needs it.

Make sure to check the expiration date though, I find a lot of the samples I have received are expired or expire before LO will even arrive.

Lucas 3.5.11
    Tyler 4.23.13
  • imageJSS1002:

I mean, just because they suggest you do something doesn't mean you have to do it -- if you REALLY like the doctor, then you can probably work around that.  I think most offices give out freebie formula samples and stuff.

This. Advocate for yourself and don't let them push you around if it comes to that.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• If BF is really important to you, then find local support groups (lactation consultant, La Leche, etc) who will help you in case you hit a rough patch, and keep your pedi.  The pedi may suggest you supplement (his interest is in healthy growth for your baby, in whatever form the food comes in), but you are ultimately in charge so own it.  Ask your pedi's office for nearby BF support contacts. 

I would recommend stashing that sample formula can somewhere in your kitchen, just in case the need ever arises.  Hopefully you have a long & successful BF future, and then you can donate it once your steady milk supply is established.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • elbouelbou member

Honestly, when I had my 2 oldest girls, my pediatrician had nothing to do with the breastfeeding aspect of it. By which I mean, he was the baby's doctor...not the first person I thought of asking when I had questions/concerns/problems with breastfeeding. I saw a laction consultant at the hospital I delivered at instead. He was great in every other way, and never pushed formula on me. I think if you like everything else about this doctor, and he's knowledgable about the growth/developement differences between BF and FF babies, you should stick with him. Breastfeeding may be a huge part of your life with baby, but it's not really a huge part of doctor check-ups...at least in my experience. :)

That said, mother's intuition can be helpful. If it's really bugging you, check some others out and/or go back and ask some more questions until your mind is settled.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"