March 2013 Moms

Routine NST??

Has anyone heard of or sheduled a routine NST? So I saw a doctor other than my usual this week and she ordered a NST for next weeks appointment, at which I will be 39 weeks 4 days. She made it seem like it was just something routine to do before scheduling an induction date. I am measuring fine and not having any complications so now I am wondering why she ordered it and if I should call my regular doctor tomorrow to ask about it. When I mentioned to a couple people that I had one scheduled they made me feel as though it is odd to have one done for no particular reason or concern. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Re: Routine NST??

• I recently had a NST (we're 36 weeks) and when I asked her when they normally do them the nurse told me that NSTs were commonly done with ladies who were close or past their due date.  Ours was necessary because we noticed a decrease in movement but maybe your doctor is doing this as a precautionary measure since you're getting so close to your due date.  

NSTs are to determine how reactive your LO is.  So if you want to be sure that you're not in danger zone before your next visit, you can do a kick count. Drink a juice and then lie on your left side keeping track of his movements.  If he does at least 10 kicks within the hour, you're LO is as they should be.  We're going to be keep track of ours once a day before our next visit on Monday.  

Hope this helps and hope the remaining days of your pregnancy are good ones :-) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its not a big deal.  It just monitors heart rate and movement.  I havent had any complications either but have had them the last couple weeks.  Most people I know have had them the last week or two before their due date.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am high risk and have them 2x a week.  They measure LO's movement and can tell if I'm having contractions. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"