February 2013 Moms

I think I'm done breastfeeding.

I gave it my best shot, but my oversupply still seems to be out of control. DD is miserable; she cries all the time, has green and foamy stools from a foremilk hindmilk imbalance, and is very fussy at the breast. DH and I are exhausted and frustrated. I have tried 3 and 6 hour block nursing as well as a total pump out to try and regulate my milk production, and it's just not working.
I'm going to contact my lactation consultant tomorrow and ask her advice, but I'm pretty sure we're going to do a trial of formula over the weekend and see how DD responds. I'll pump to keep my supply up just in case she doesn't seem to be doing any better on formula, and then we can go back to BF'ing.
I feel like this is the right thing to do, but I can't help but feel disappointed and kind of like a failure too.
PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: I think I'm done breastfeeding.

• I am not saying to quit, but don't beat yourself up about it, if its what you need to do.  I had to quit with dd, and it was the best decision for us.

good luck! 

• Talk to DC2London--she can give you some tips on over supply.

Good luck & know that we support you no matter what you choose is best for you & your daughter!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • Loading the player...
  • Whatever you decide you are making the best decision for you family. Your LO deserves a happy mommy! I know exactly how you feel though. I am having the same debate in my head but I am having the opposite problem and have low supply issues. Best of luck to you!No matter what you are a great mom!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• You have to do what's right for your family...which includes keeping you sane.  I felt the same way with my first when I stopped BF and started supplementing hen switching to formula.   But you know what? For me, at that time, making her baby food at home was WAY more personally rewarding..I loved it and it made all of us a lot happier.
  • I agree with PPs, do what is right for you and your family, don't feel bad about it.

Have you considered exclusively pumping? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh also, something I did with DD1 to help with the foremilk hindmilk imbalance was pump an ounce or so before nursing.  But she put herself on a very predictable feeding schedule very early.  It would be hard to do feeding on demand.  But it helped a ton with the green poops and fussiness.  Unfortunately it doesn't send your body the message to make less milk, so it won't help the main problem of over supply. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My problem with both girls was undersupply, so I can't help with the issues you're having, but I just wanted to say that if you decide to stop BFing, it's ok.You do what you need to do to keep LO and your family sane. In my case, that meant stopping pumping after 9 weeks with DD1 and after only 3 weeks with DD2. With DD1 I had horrible guilt, and you probably will, too, but it will all turn out ok no matter what you decide. You will not be able to tell a difference between her and a BFed baby.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Thanks ladies. Even though I haven't enjoyed BF'ing for multiple reasons, I'm still sad that it is probably coming to an end. I really wish I could've made it work. I don't think exclusively pumping is the answer for me personally, since half my problem is feeling uncomfortable from being engorged. I just want my baby to feel better and be happier.

• Have you tried any of the "dry up" tricks like cold cabbage leaves, etc, between feedings? I say you should do what you feel is best, but it seems like this is something you really wanted which is why I would encourage you to try a few more things before throwing in the towel. Another thought is that you could pump for a few days to build up a good stash, then spend a few days just pumping juuust enough to relieve some pressure every few hours, let your supply dwindle a bit, and then try starting up again with nursing to see if its' better. Your LO is probably eating too much because of the fm/hm imbalance (been there, honey! It sucks!) which is leading to the oversupply, and the cycle repeats. If you can ratchet down your supply by just barely pumping for a few days (which, if you were going to wean, you'd probably still do anyway) and then LO came back and was able to get to the hindmilk faster, she'd nurse less and hopefully not overstimulate your supply again. It's worth a shot! Or, just do formula and go through the drying up process, and then try nursing again in a week or so to see what happens. The milk doesn't just vanish completely that fast, so it could work.

It's worth a shot. I know BFing can be so hard at the beginning and had a lot of the same issues with DD1 and then started to have them again with DD2 but I recognized it early and launched my own plan and after a few days DD1 stopped with the green poop, reflux, and some other issues that were starting. 

• I know it seems like a monumental decision right now but in the grand scheme of all things related to raising your children, it isn't. Do what you feel comfortable with and please don't beat yourself up over it! You're doing such a great job at this mommy thing!
    I know it's tough to decide though... I went through that with my first. Hugs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDC2London:

Please do speak with your LC.  I really think you can make it work, if BF is important to you.  However, if EBF is not what's best for you and your baby, then it's not the right choice.  The only way you would be a "failure" is if you don't feed your baby.  Whether the right choice for your family is breast, formula, or a combination of the two, the important thing is that you feed and love your baby--which you are doing.

I didn't realize before that her poops are green and frothy.  Have you considered the possibility of a dairy intolerance?  Formula definitely will not fix that :-/

I'm going to PM you my IRL name and, if you want, you can friend me on Facebook.  It will be much easier to PM there than on The Bump, and I would be more than happy to talk more with you about this. Or we can just keep back-and-forthing here :) 

Thanks :) I've never seen green, frothy poops as a sign of dairy intolerance, only a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance. They're not always frothy or green either, which makes me think that sometimes she is getting to the hindmilk and sometimes not. 

I don't know. I don't enjoy BF'ing for multiple reasons, not just because of all my oversupply issues. If I didn't have oversupply I would certainly continue, but I'm thinking it may just not be for me.

• imageIncogNeato:

Have you tried any of the "dry up" tricks like cold cabbage leaves, etc, between feedings? I say you should do what you feel is best, but it seems like this is something you really wanted which is why I would encourage you to try a few more things before throwing in the towel. Another thought is that you could pump for a few days to build up a good stash, then spend a few days just pumping juuust enough to relieve some pressure every few hours, let your supply dwindle a bit, and then try starting up again with nursing to see if its' better. Your LO is probably eating too much because of the fm/hm imbalance (been there, honey! It sucks!) which is leading to the oversupply, and the cycle repeats. If you can ratchet down your supply by just barely pumping for a few days (which, if you were going to wean, you'd probably still do anyway) and then LO came back and was able to get to the hindmilk faster, she'd nurse less and hopefully not overstimulate your supply again. It's worth a shot! Or, just do formula and go through the drying up process, and then try nursing again in a week or so to see what happens. The milk doesn't just vanish completely that fast, so it could work.

It's worth a shot. I know BFing can be so hard at the beginning and had a lot of the same issues with DD1 and then started to have them again with DD2 but I recognized it early and launched my own plan and after a few days DD1 stopped with the green poop, reflux, and some other issues that were starting. 

This is great advice.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"