Stay at Home Moms

What would make you return to work?

Obviously if you needed to financially, you would. But is there any reason you would choose to return to work?

I hung out with a SAHM friend today. She's been SAH since her 2 year old was born. Somehow we got on the subject of friends and socializing. She was saying that she's been really lonely and is considering going back to work. I felt terrible that my friend said this. It just got to thinking.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: What would make you return to work?

• I went back to work part time when DS1 was about 2 and DS2 was almost 1.  I quit recently and the past 5 months that I've been home w/ them have been HARD!!!!!  DS1 goes to preschool two mornings a week so I have alone time w/ #2 but they are going at it like WWE or WWF (whatever it's called) over anything and everything.  It's getting harder everyday.  I know for me personally that working part time is better for everyone.  It's not so much about feeling lonely as it is getting a break.  I get a break, which I believe makes me more patient w/ them, Grandma gets her time w/ them - we are lucky that she is retired, and $$ coming in is a bonus.  Only problem is can't find a job. 
    Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • If I could launch a successful event planning business I would do it. But considering I have no desire to do weddings, I think it might be hard. ;) So at home I'll stay. 

• Loading the player...
  • Hmm. Some days i am in tears and ready to lose it because it is so hard. I think about going back daily sometimes. I wish i could work part time but dont think i could find anything that would pay decent. I had 3u2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If I got to the point where I was really unhappy being at home for any reason I would look towards returning to work to change things up.  I don't foresee this happening, but I would never want to feel "trapped" by staying at home.  I roll my eyes at a lot of the "happy mom, happy baby" things, but feeling isolated, or forced to SAH is definitely something that could cause big issues.  It's not for everyone and that's okay.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In a perfect world I'd be a SAHM forever and never go back to work. Instead, I'll go back to work, hopefully part time, when our youngest is in school full days. It's very important to us to send our children to the private school where DH teaches, so I will go back to work so that we can comfortably afford the tuition.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am not sure.  Maybe when both boys are in school.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesbevmc09:
    If I got to the point where I was really unhappy being at home for any reason I would look towards returning to work to change things up.nbsp; I don't foresee this happening, but I would never want to feel "trapped" by staying at home.nbsp; I roll my eyes at a lot of the "happy mom, happy baby" things, but feeling isolated, or forced to SAH is definitely something that could cause big issues.nbsp; It's not for everyone and that's okay.

I'm afraid this is how my friend feels: trapped. She quit her job because she hadn't been there very long, hadn't racked up much paid time off for maternity leave, had medical and dental insurance but she paid a lot in premiums and just didn't bring home much money. So it made most sense for her to quit after her baby was born. She said she's lonely but I think there's more to it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I have had this conversation with DH before and I told him that once DS (and any other future LOs) is in school all day I will possibly go back to work part-time so that I am still able to be home with them after school. But that decision wont be made for at least 5-7 years.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Currently, financial need is the only reason I would go back. That may change as my kid(s) grow, but right now I have no desire to work, even part time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It sounds like she could use support like a moms group. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"