High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

GD and Baby Shower vent

I had my first baby shower last Sunday with DH family. I was diagnosed with GD a week and half before the shower. The shower was scheduled for 2 in the afternoon so I knew it wouldn't be a meal. I arrived at the shower to find cookies, cupcakes, cheesecake, punch, and wine. So basically nothing for me. I ended up having a bottle of water and that was it. My MIL was in on the planning of the shower so she knew I have GD and also knew what they were serving. I just felt like it was a little rude to not have anything for me to munch on. 

Sorry just venting. Anyone else have problems with showers and food?  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: GD and Baby Shower vent

• Options
    I had asked my DH (who works for inlaws) about food he said they were having snack items so I guess I figured it wasn't all sweets. Luckily I had ate before the shower. I didn't want to go off my diet since I had just started it and was getting use to what to eat and taking care of my sugars. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Teehee!  I also found out I had GD right before my shower...   It just happened to be a dessert theme!    I stuck with the water...took lots of pictures of the beautiful treats...and just enjoyed all the hard work they went through to get it all together.  I'm sure it didn't cross anyones mind that I would be starving or staring at the huge cupcakes that I wasn't able to eat!      I did take one bite after the shower of a cupcake and one bite of some chocolate dipped fruit.  My numbers were fine...but my tummy was angry!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im sorry! That is so stinky! I was told I could have a small slice of cake and to just walk afterwards to help.

Still isn't nice of them to not think of you even a little. :C
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine is in two weeks and I was diagnosed on Friday last week. We had planned a little more substantial than a brunch.

On the plus, my husband's side of the family is all vegetarian so we had already planned a partly veggie route. My friend is doing all the cooking (she's a chef) so the adjustments weren't too major. My other friend is doing the cake and my nutritionist suggested angel food (since it's the best in terms of sugars and such) and then I suggested (and it was cleared with the doc) whipped cream and strawberries instead of frosting.

Just remember, you don't have to not eat it. You can just keep the portion size much less. Like I've got a bar of chocolate. If I eat a cube it pretty much doesn't even count because it's such a small portion size. 

If your friends happen to cook you just let them know about the GI and what can be switched out. I suggested agave nectar (which is like an 11) to sweeten rather than sugar. 

PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ugh.  I'm sorry you had to look at all that yummy stuff and not partake.  I agree, it is a little rude and sometimes it's hard to just let it slide.  Moving forward, maybe make sure you have some kind of snacks you can eat stuffed in your purse.

My whole family is reminded often that I have diabetes as we spend a lot of time together.  My sister, however, lives out of state and planned most of my shower, including the food.  She is a bit selfish and self-centered anyway so it wasn't surprising that she had this elaborate taco bar set up.  She knows nothing about diabetes and kept telling me this or that was ok to eat.  I stuck with the veggie tray and had a tiny piece of cake.  She did a fantastic job on the shower otherwise. 

lol...as I am writing this my co-worker, who knows I am a diabetic, just asked me if I want a banana cupcake!  YES!  Yes, I want the damn cupcake!  Crying

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"