August 2012 Moms

Second guessing myself NBR

I find myself from time to time wondering if I made the right decision to change jobs while I was on my maternity leave. I LOVED the work I did before, I was a forensic DNA analyst, but I hated how I was treated at that company, the lousy salary, and the assumption from management that I was going to work 55+ hours a week without OT pay. As a lab coodinator/adjunct faculty, I still get the same lousy pay but I am (mostly) appreciated, I'm not stressed, and I get to leave work on time. Plus the added benefits of not working summers is awesome. But... I MISS the work I used to do. I have a friend here at the university who is trying to get me a full time forensics faculty position, but the program is only a few years old and a position might not open up for another year. Besides, I like teaching, but I don't know if I love it or would want to continue with it. I keep thinking that I can stick it out for a few years here and then try to find another DNA analyst job when DS is older and in school. I'm only thinking about this now because I was asked to peer review the course materials for the DNA analysis course for the fall semester and I realize that I still miss doing that kind of work. I can't help thinking that I was stupid for quitting that job when it was my "dream" job, if you will. A friend asked me if I would go back and my answer was yes, but only if I could be certain that I was not working 55+ hour weeks or getting yelled at for things not my fault. Obviously, time is important to me.

Someone tell me that I'm not crazy for quitting a highly stressful job that I loved to take a job where I am not stressed but sorta enjoy all in the name of being able to spend more time with DS.

Or I guess you can tell me I'm stupid. LOL

Re: Second guessing myself NBR

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"