Baby Names

Name Meanings

Just curious...

How much do the meanings of names matter in your search?  If you love a name but hate the meaning, or vice versa, does that affect your decision?  

What are the meanings of your own top choices? 

Met my soul mate October 2011 ~ Married August 2012

BFP September 2013 ~ Our baby boy is due May 2014

Re: Name Meanings

• I generally don't care what the meaning is, unless it's something really negative. Had to take Mallory off the list for that reason :[
    SQUIRREL!!!

• If the meaning is bad, then I wouldn't personally use it.

DS's name means Father of peace.

DD's name means Warrior Woman and Lucky.

• Loading the player...
  • I have no idea what my boys' names mean...  Does that answer the question as to whether or not they matter to me or DH?

FWIW, I looked up the meanings a month or two ago when someone on BNB asked to play a game in which we all posted the meanings of our kids' names.

I still don't remember.   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageJoy2611:
    I've worked with a lot of people other cultures, particularly Chinese who care deeply about name meanings and it's rubbed off on me.nbsp; I don't want to be completely ignorant of a name's meaning so I'm aware of what most of my top picks mean.nbsp; If it means something very negative, then I usually scratch it off the list.nbsp; I don't go looking for names that have specific meanings, however.
    Most of this!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't really care too much about the meaning, as long as it isn't something negative.

• imageJaysonandKristin:
    I have no idea what my boys' names mean... nbsp;Does that answer the question as to whether or not they matter to menbsp;or DH?FWIW, I looked up the meanings a month or two ago when someone on BNB asked to play a game in which we all posted the meanings of our kids' names.I still don't remember. nbsp;nbsp;

This :]

• The meaning of a name is very important to me. DH doesn't care less about meanings. Connection to our family history is also important. My sons first name means protector. His middle name means "animal enclosure" which really doesn't mean much. However, it is his great grandpa's name which means a ton.

I like a variety of meanings so I can't really pin one down. As long as the meaning is not negative then I am open to it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagePinkLillyLover:
    imageJoy2611:
    I've worked with a lot of people other cultures, particularly Chinese who care deeply about name meanings and it's rubbed off on me.nbsp; I don't want to be completely ignorant of a name's meaning so I'm aware of what most of my top picks mean.nbsp; If it means something very negative, then I usually scratch it off the list.nbsp; I don't go looking for names that have specific meanings, however.
    Most of this!

I agree with most of this as well!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• The meanings don't really affect my decision at all, unless the name had a really negative meaning like trash, or sht for example.  

DDs name Natalia means: Born on Christmas day, or Christ's birthday. She was born in July. I did think about what if people know the meaning are they going to think it's strange we used the name? But eh. I was over it in about 5mins because it's a name we both quickly agreed on.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Meaning is a big deal for me.  But it's not everything.  Say I like the meaning 'peace' for a girl but don't want to use it as a name.  When I look it up by meaning the only ones that interest me are Salome and Irene, which just don't feel perfect for me so I wouldn't settle for it. 

Really, it's once the name fits other criteria and then I like the meaning too.  But if the meaning is "bad", it does totally change the way I think about the name.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I care more about family, historical, literary, and cultural associations than I care about the etymological meanings of names.  Both of our kids' names are technically place names - DD's name is my mom's maiden name, which is also a village in Italy whose name is a Late Latin word for sheepfold, and DS's name is Lincoln, which means lake colony.  But the family significance of DD's name and the association with the president are why we chose the names.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • My daughters name means "born to us on Christmas day".. she was born in February lol. As long as it has no negative meaning, then its ok with me.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • kdv77kdv77 member
    It doesn't affect me unless its a negative meaning. However, Margot was a front runner last pregnancy and when I found out it meant pearl (my favorite gem), it made it even more special to me and solidified our decision. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • It matters to me if I'm debating between two names.  I love Amelia, and I love Cecilia.  But Amelia has a better meaning, so it's higher on my list.  I wouldn't not use Cecilia because of the meaning, but it plays a factor in ranking.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"