August 2013 Moms

Maternity work clothes ?

OK ladies....I need some opinions...I work for a company who has provided me a uniform, meaning shirts and pants. I am to wear this uniform daily. I told work was preggo at 8 weeks. I am now 15weeks and my uniform pants are getting really tight. I asked about a maternity uniform, which I was originally told they would take care of, now they are telling me to go get my own...and pay for it myself. I asked if I could wear jeans then, since I have a few pairs of maternity jeans and was told no. It is not in my budget to be buying work clothes, and I should feel I should not have to since THEY provide me a uniform...what do you all think?

Re: Maternity work clothes ?

• I think that if they told you they would take care of it, and then went back on it, I would be mad. Can you use a beband (you can buy them at Target) to use your work pants and not have to button them? If your pants are a neutral (such as plain black, khaki, blue, etc) I might just buy a pair or two at target/walmart and wear them throughout the pregnancy. It would annoy me as well because they provide uniforms but if they are refusing, I would just find something inexpensive to get through it.

• I completely understand your frustration since they backed out of what they originally told you.  Do you just have to buy something that looks similar to their uniforms or is there a specific vendor/company you have to use?  If it is just something similar, I would just go get something inexpensive. 

At the same time, I had to buy maternity work clothes for my job. So, I had to work that into my budget. I work for a large company where we dress up most days.  It's just the way it goes if I want to be comfortable at work. I tried the belly band for a while, but it becamse uncomfortable. Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I know a lot of places that are having their sales, you might be able to find some inexpensive things.  I like the pants from the gap, because it has that belt tightner on the side that you can use throughout your entire pg.  you could also look at shades clothes, to see if there is anything you can get as well.  Also, try old navy too, kohls and target.
  • What is their uniform policy? Do they only purchase one set per year? Just once when you are first hired? If you lost 40lbs and your clothes no longer fit would they provide you a new set?

I have heard many companies do not provide maternity uniforms, or a larger size uniform after your maternity leave. They should give you leeway in what you wear on a day to day basis, though.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Not to be "that girl" and post this..but really, most people have to buy maternity clothes for work? What's the big deal?

Yes it's not ideal, and yes its expensive..but I have to buy business casual as that's my dress code, which obviously I don't wear on my own time..so clothes need to be bought now that my regular stuff doesn't fit! Just comes with the territory of being pregnant! 

I do understand it would be frustrating if you were told they would provide it, and now aren't..but at the same time, it's not that surprising that they won't. 

• Plus side.., you can save the receipts and claim it on your taxes. What kind of pants do you need?? I have towers black or khaki only so I bought some on shadeclothing.com for 10. They are straight leg that roll into capris, while I don't love the fit of the pant they will be fine for work and I'll use the Capri style all summer even on weekends so I figured it was worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Idk what kind of work you do, but I have a pretty active job and I have found that maternity nursing scrub pants in neutral colors work really well, they aren't very expensive and they hold up well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"