September 2013 Moms
Options

Already stressed about childcare

I don't know what to do! I work three 12hr shifts a week, but not always the same days (and it's unlikely I'd be able to get a consistent schedule). DH works normal hours (8:30-6, M-F). My mom would love to watch the baby, but she likely would only be able to do it 1 day/wk.

We have no problem putting LO in day care, but with my days being varied each week, that wouldn't work. I don't know if a nanny would want to come on random days each week (although I have my schedules 6wks at a time).

Any ideas? What are you planning on doing for childcare?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Already stressed about childcare

• Options
    I am a nanny, and as long as you were looking to pay a monthly or weekly rate, I don't think this would be an issue assuming it is full time. The knowing six weeks ahead of time would be plenty for most people.

I feel your pain on childcare though. I signed mine up for care starting in January a few weeks ago due to a registration deadline. They pretty much force you to think about it early. I feel like if you want to be selective about programs, etc... you have to be proactive.
  • Options

If your DH works normal hours, why can't LO go to daycare during his hours and he does drop-off/pick-up?

I work normal hours (M-F 8-5) and DH works a 24 hour shift and then has 48 hours off (he's a firefighter). So, I'm responsible for the daycare drop-off/pick-up when he's not home from work the following day (he goes in and gets home at 8am) or is on shift.

imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Daycare will probably be much cheaper than a nanny even if you so ahead and pay for mon Friday. Then just use what you need.
  • Options
    You might be able to find a college student with hours that work with your schedule who can help? I have a friend getting a second degree right now and she still has a nanny gig 2x per week. She schedules her classes around her job...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePrettyInPearls23:

If your DH works normal hours, why can't LO go to daycare during his hours and he does drop-off/pick-up?

I work normal hours (M-F 8-5) and DH works a 24 hour shift and then has 48 hours off (he's a firefighter). So, I'm responsible for the daycare drop-off/pick-up when he's not home from work the following day (he goes in and gets home at 8am) or is on shift.

I agree with this. Why can't your DH do the pick up/drop off since he has the more consistent schedule?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    imagePrettyInPearls23:

DH and I have a similar work situation as this and as OP's. I'm a eight to fiver and DH works some late night and 3rd shifts that vary from week to week (he works in the aerospace industry). We plan on doing the same thing suggested as above. Since I have the more traditional and fixed schedule, we plan on looking for 8 to 5 day care centers. DH usually has his days off in the middle of my work week. I realize we may have to pay for five full days of care even though we will likely never need all five days- we are just paying for flexibility. 

• Options
    imagePrettyInPearls23:

I'm not at all concerned about pick-up/drop off... DH would do it. My concern is that I only need it two days a week, but those two days may change every week, and the places I've looked into want consistent schedules so they can give the other days to someone else (i.e. they want you to have LO there the same days every week, and my schedule may be M/W one week, Th/F the next, etc.)

• Options
    Before you stress yourself out too much, I would talk to some local daycare centers and see what options they would have for you. You just never know what someone may be willing to work out with you.
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    I was a nanny for quite a while, and a flex schedule isn't that big a deal provided that 1. The income is set per week or month and 2. There is ample notice (6 weeks is plenty). I would avoid a college student though, simply because they have class schedules that can't be altered every six weeks. If you are looking for in home care, hire a professional. You will be thankful you did.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagei2002pooh:
    imagePrettyInPearls23:

I am curious because this is very similar to the situation I will be facing as my DH is also a firefighter but his schedule is 24 hours on then 72 off, does your LO go to daycare 5 days a week to match your work schedule?  I am trying to figure out how we are going to work daycare with his rotating schedule and if it would just be best to keep things consistent.

DS is considered to be in pre-school at his DCP, so he goes full time for the educational aspect. He also thrives on schedules and routines so we keep him in full time.

With this LO, he/she will attend full time as well. Mostly because DH is still pretty busy on his days off and I want him to not feel like he's missing out on what he wants to stay home with LO. He does hobby farming (hay, beans, wheat, etc.) and does side jobs for "fun" money. He's a busy-body and would go nuts staying at home with a LO.

Another thing we considered is that since he has a rotating schedule (like your DH), it would be really hard to find a DCP that would take our LO on different days each week.

imageimageimage

• Options
    imageShanmarie1083:
    imagePrettyInPearls23:

I agree with this. Why can't your DH do the pick up/drop off since he has the more consistent schedule?

My guess is that she wants just 3 days a week because on the off days she can watch LO. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would talk to some more child cares. I know the you said they want to know specific days (M/W, T/F, etc), but if you explain that you can give them your schedule for a 6 week time period maybe they would be more accommodating?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageVitaLuna:
    imagePrettyInPearls23:

I'm not at all concerned about pick-up/drop off... DH would do it. My concern is that I only need it two days a week, but those two days may change every week, and the places I've looked into want consistent schedules so they can give the other days to someone else (i.e. they want you to have LO there the same days every week, and my schedule may be M/W one week, Th/F the next, etc.)

Many daycare centers offer part time. I would try to find one that will allow inconsistent schedule. You might have more flexibility with a larger daycare center because they have more staff, more space, and can accommodate changing needs. DS previously went to a kindercare and they allowed flexible part time. I'm sure there are plenty of parents with alternate wok schedules so with a little research I'm sure you'll find a place.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    The center that my daughter is in right now you set your schedule each week and they couldn't care less how much it varries as long as they know a week in advance what the schedule the next week is.  It has a 3 day minimum, but then you could at least set the 3 days each week.  Maybe a center around you has a similar set up?
    Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

• Options

I think part of the problem is that I live in a small town, where a lot of women stay home, so there aren't all that many options for infant care at a center (I prefer DC center over in-home, but I know I probably can't be picky). I've only found one place that takes infants, and they seem to be pretty strict about days because they usually have a wait list. I might have to set up and appt and beg and plead with them :)

I work about 30 miles away in a larger city with lots more options, but I'd have to drop LO off by 6:30am and wouldn't be able to pick up until 8pm. Plus, it's about 45 minutes out of the way for DH, so he wouldn't be able to do it.

Thank you all for the advice, though... I think I'll have to keep digging deeper to find something.

• Options

I think a nanny would probably be your optimum situation. As long as you could guarantee X amount of hours per week or just a base weekly or monthly rate, I think most would be ok with that.

We thankfully are guaranteed an infant spot at DD's daycare. I will say that finding good daycare was one of the most stressful things I have done as a parent. FTM, if you are planning on more children, take that into consideration when choosing your daycares. I was very, very close to putting DD in a different program that started at 12 months. I am so grateful now that I didn't because I'd be scrambling again for an infant spot somewhere.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I work parttime but it varies weekly but either 2 or 3 days, and with my DD the day care was totally fine with my flex schedule. I pay for three days a week regardless what I use, but they don't care what the days are they just need to know two weeks prior. Just call around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"