Baby Names
Options

Salomé?

What are your thoughts on the name Salom?? Pronounced Sa-lo-may (Spanish/French origin).  

What type of girl do you picture and what type of parents do you think would name their daughter Salom?? 

It's on my list and I'm really liking it lately. Btw, just for fun, but genuinely interested in your opinions! No need for rainbows and pink fluffy bunnies: give it to me straight.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Salomé?

• Options

My brain reads it as Salami. That said, once I read the actual pronunciation, I thought 'that's cute'. I wouldn't personally use it, but it's just not our style.

edti: I don't picture any particular type of child/young adult/older woman in this case because I don't know anyone with the name. 

• Options
    I was thinking some people will pronounce it like the meat salami.  I much prefer Sloane.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it's pretty - pronounced correctly, but I fear you may get a lot of Sa-lome because people won't get the accent over the e. 

As for what types of parents may use this name, I guess I would assume someone with a Spanish or French or maybe Middle Eastern background or who had ties to or a love of other cultures.

• Options

While it's pretty, I think people will think of the woman who demanded the head of John the Baptist. But I grew up going to church every week, so... maybe non religious people wouldn't get that.

Samantha Skye - Aug 30, 2006 AND Maxwell Griffin - April 14, 2009
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    All I can think of is the last season of True Blood.

• Options
    imageSxia:

While it's pretty, I think people will think of the woman who demanded the head of John the Baptist. But I grew up going to church every week, so... maybe non religious people wouldn't get that.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Even though it's pronounced differently, this is the firs thing I think of.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKatFCo:
    imageSxia:

This is exactly what I was thinking. Even though it's pronounced differently, this is the firs thing I think of.

This was my first thought too.  

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    It's NMS, but I honestly thought of boy. You threw me for a loop with girl.

• Options
    All I hear is Salami, unfortunately. 

• Options
    imageIdani:
    I think people will pronounce her name like the fish, Salmon or like like the deli meat.nbsp; I do like Sloane and the correct pronouncing of this but I doubt you will get it.

This!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options

Thanks for your replies everyone! I definitely want to avoid salami, I had hoped that this spelling would work, but alas.

I know of the biblical Salome and that she wasn't a positive rolemodel so to say. I first heard Salom? on a tv show, it was the name of the newborn of a church-going couple. I was wondering if there's perhaps another Salom? who wasn't a biblical badass.

I really like Sloan, but my Dutch relatives will want to say slow-ann, so that's not an option.  

I haven't seen the last season of True Blood yet (I want to get it on DVD), so I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that comment! 

• Options
    imageLMvW85:

I know of the biblical Salome and that she wasn't a positive rolemodel so to say. I first heard Salom? on a tv show, it was the name of the newborn of a church-going couple. I was wondering if there's perhaps another Salom? who wasn't a biblical badass.

There was another single reference to a Salome as being one of the women who went to Jesus' tomb on the day of the resurrection, but most people probably wouldn't think of that (I've studied the Bible all my life and I had to look it up to see if there was another one).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Truthfully?  My issue would be with the accent.  It's hard to type a work with one on a phone, and from what I understand, kids today won't be learning cursive anymore because all they do is type.  Weird objection, I know.
  • Options
    I love it. The only reason I won't uses it is I am a big nickname person and I hate Sal.
    BabyName Ticker
    my read shelf:
    Summer Rae Garcia's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    imageKatFCo:
    imageLMvW85:

There was another single reference to a Salome as being one of the women who went to Jesus' tomb on the day of the resurrection, but most people probably wouldn't think of that (I've studied the Bible all my life and I had to look it up to see if there was another one).

Thanks for looking it up! I'll keep it on the list for now. I don't like the biblical reference, but I do like the meaning (peace). 

• Options

It's a guilty pleasure name for me. I do think of the bloodthirsty one from the Bible first. But it's so pretty! I would love to meet a baby girl named Salom?.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"