Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Too early to potty train?

I have a 20 month old who has decided she hates being in a wet or poopy diaper. She complains and wants to be changed as soon as she goes.  We bought a potty (I feel like an idiot using these words) but she won't go in it.  Am I starting to early or should I be trying a different method?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Too early to potty train?

• I'd say at this stage, introduce the potty but don't push it.  We try to have DD (22 months) sit on the potty morning and night (when she wakes up and before the bath) and anytime she asks.   But only because she is interested, I don't push it.  Every so often, we have the occasional success and give her lots of praise.    I don't think we are anywhere near actual potty training or no diapers in the day (probably start that in the fall?).    We have read a few potty books and she usually insists on mommy sitting on the big toilet while she sits on her potty (she seems to get a kick out of this).

ETA - I also give her praise and encourage her to tell me when she has to go, even if she is just going in her diaper.  I always thank her for telling mommy and offer the potty.

• Its not too early. My daughter has been going in the potty since 6.5 months, at least once a day. She is totally happy to sit on the potty whenever, but at first she cried. Giving her something to look at and staying with her and then clapping when she goes has made it really positive for her.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekalette:
    Its not too early. My daughter has been going in the potty since 6.5 months, at least once a day. She is totally happy to sit on the potty whenever, but at first she cried. Giving her something to look at and staying with her and then clapping when she goes has made it really positive for her.

Hmm

• imageblueandgray:

imagekalette:
    Its not too early. My daughter has been going in the potty since 6.5 months, at least once a day. She is totally happy to sit on the potty whenever, but at first she cried. Giving her something to look at and staying with her and then clapping when she goes has made it really positive for her.

Hmm

It's called Elimination communication and can start at birth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_communication

• Thanks.
  • I'm the same like kalette I started when he was 7 months,now he is leading the way,just make it fun and don't force it. I also let him see me when I'm on the bathroom.you can also get a free cd from pull ups,about potty training,I got it when I was pregnant but I don't really use it,but it seems it has a good tip to potty training.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it's ever to early to start. We have been getting on the potty at least once a day for about a month. She does pee on it every now and then (more with my grandma, who is more patient, than I am). We use the attachment one that sits on the big potty, but we have the system that she can have her own, depending on which she wants in the future. She also thinks it's funny to watch us use the potty, and gets all babble-y when we ask if she has to pee pee or go to the bathroom.

My grandma swears her oldest was potty trained at 18 mos, and they say I was trained before 2. Who knows. haha

We definitely aren't pushing it either - just getting her used to it. She isn't to the point where she has to be changed right away, but she definitely pulls at her diaper and sometimes tells us when she's wet (brings us diaper and wipes. ha).

• DS also started going in the toilet around 7 months, too with EC. We CD and once he started solids, I was done with him pooping in them. At first, I used his signals, but now he bangs on the bathroom door until I let him in and sit him on the potty.

Hoping it makes potty training (peeing) easier when the time comes! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • fascinating?!!!! Seems impossible

imagePALGal:
    imageblueandgray:

imagekalette:

Hmm

It's called Elimination communication and can start at birth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_communication

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My daughter is 15 months old and has been sitting on the potty for about a month now. She sees me do it all the time and knows the sign for potty and will ask to go sit ever once in awhile. I know she doesn't understand exactly what is going on, but she has peed several times now and I always make sure to make a big deal of it (usually first thing in the morning if her diaper is dry or doesn't feel recently warm). A girlfriend of mine's daughter has been in underwear since she was 16 months old and has had 1 accident. She started sitting on the potty at 9 months old. No 2 kids are the same and there is no RIGHT age for potty training. I don't see anything wrong with introducing a potty to her routine, just don't pressure her to sit there for hours. When she does go, throw a mini party!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"