Working Moms

soo - we got some numbers on the sequestration & furloughs

DH got an estimate today that he will get 500 less/mo b/c of furloughs.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: soo - we got some numbers on the sequestration & furloughs

• Ugh...we still haven't heard ANYTHING. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What do you think the chances are of congress passing another continuing resolution to put off the cuts for a few more months?  I read an article that said that Boehner was trying to get a CR passed that would at least carry everyone through to September (end of fiscal year).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • imagejlaOK:
    What do you think the chances are of congress passing another continuing resolution to put off the cuts for a few more months?  I read an article that said that Boehner was trying to get a CR passed that would at least carry everyone through to September (end of fiscal year).

This is what I think and hope will happen.  Actually, I wish they would just do their jobs and pass a budget but a continuing resolution would at least let agencies know how much money they have through the end of the fiscal year.  For my agency, a CR that continues same as the current one, underfunds our payroll by 15% which is huge.  I think even with a CR we are facing possibly upwards of 10 unpaid days off.  That's the equivalent of not getting paid for two weeks, or one full paycheck.  For me, that equals around $600 less per month for me from April - September. 

I wish they would just allow us the flexibility to make spending cuts where we see fit instead of forcing such large cuts to payroll.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• imagejlaOK:
    What do you think the chances are of congress passing another continuing resolution to put off the cuts for a few more months?  I read an article that said that Boehner was trying to get a CR passed that would at least carry everyone through to September (end of fiscal year).

I think these are two different things. We need a CR as of March 27 or it's total government shutdown.  Sequestration is a totally different beast that isn't affected one way or another by the passage of a CR, unless they make a package deal in the CR to punt the sequestration issue down the road again for another couple months like they did last time.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a calculator that I wish I could post, but it's in Excel.  Then you can enter all your info from your LES to see what your numbers are.  I will net a loss of 25%...totals out to about $950/month.  Really sucks.  Luckily DH is back to working again, so will hopefully be able to make up the difference.

What's I've been hearing is sequestration will happen, furlough notices will go out, and then they'll deal with the CRA issue.  I think a CRA will be passed at the end of March (just in the knick of time to avoid a total government shutdown), and we'll still be furloughed, at least for a month or two, when the general public realizes just how much this is affecting them too and starts to squawk at their Congressmen.

The whole situation is ridiculous, and I will NOT be voting for any incumbent in the next round of elections.
  • Ugh.  We've still heard nothing about furloughs, so maybe that's a good thing.  However, if we were to be furloughed 1 day per week, DH and I combined would be looking at a loss of about $1000 per pay period.  Indifferent So much for the security of government jobs. 
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageSonadora:

imagejlaOK:

I think these are two different things. We need a CR as of March 27 or it's total government shutdown.  Sequestration is a totally different beast that isn't affected one way or another by the passage of a CR, unless they make a package deal in the CR to punt the sequestration issue down the road again for another couple months like they did last time.

Okay.  I read that March 27th date, but I thought it had to do with having to give some? all? agencies 30 days notice before furloughs start.  Gah, this is so frustrating.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• The March 27 date only has to do with the CR and not sequestration. As far as I know, DoD was estimating furloughs would start April 1 so the 30 day notices about furloughs should be going out now. 

And right, if they don't pass a new CR by March 27 then it's total gov't shutdown. And all the sequestration negotiations could potentially make it harder. Good times!  

• imagejlaOK:
    imageSonadora:

imagejlaOK:

Okay.  I read that March 27th date, but I thought it had to do with having to give some? all? agencies 30 days notice before furloughs start.  Gah, this is so frustrating.

No. Sequestration officially begins at midnight tonight. Most union contracts require 30 days notice of furloughs. So if agencies notify tomorrrow, furloughs begin approximately April 1. I'm not sure about excepted service employee notification but it appears for the purposes of the sequestration they are treating everyone the same and giving 30 days notice.

March 27 is the day the current CR runs out. If the CR runs out, then the government totally shuts down (except for those declared essential personnel) and we are out our whole paychecks instead of the one or two day a pay period cut.  No connection to the sequestration, just another fun twist to the whole situation.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• imageSonadora:
    imagejlaOK:
    imageSonadora:

imagejlaOK:

No. Sequestration officially begins at midnight tonight. Most union contracts require 30 days notice of furloughs. So if agencies notify tomorrrow, furloughs begin approximately April 1. I'm not sure about excepted service employee notification but it appears for the purposes of the sequestration they are treating everyone the same and giving 30 days notice.

March 27 is the day the current CR runs out. If the CR runs out, then the government totally shuts down (except for those declared essential personnel) and we are out our whole paychecks instead of the one or two day a pay period cut.  No connection to the sequestration, just another fun twist to the whole situation.

Correct I think a lot of things are getting blured by the media.

They have to do something by March 27.  Our lobbying group seems to think that they will do another CR to fund the government through the end of September will this fix the sequester fully more than likely not.  In addition to the CR, we are also coming up on the debit ceiling.  Three big issues.  My boss has said he has our budget to the point that we can make it to March 27 after that day it is anyone's guess because it depends on how many contracts we lose.  I work for a defense contracter but I am an overhead employee. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • That is rough.  Any idea for how long?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegingerfamily:

That is rough.  Any idea for how long?

Sequestration will impact us for years to come.  Even with a fix cuts have to be made that is a given.  The furlough thing is just a temp fix really jobs could end up being cut all together, although it is really hard to cut a federal worker. As for the CR right now they need  to figure out how to fund until the end of Sept., the gov. fiscal year, but after that they still need a 2014 budget. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesnicksnack:
    imagegingerfamily:

That is rough.  Any idea for how long?

Sequestration will impact us for years to come.  Even with a fix cuts have to be made that is a given.  The furlough thing is just a temp fix really jobs could end up being cut all together, although it is really hard to cut a federal worker. As for the CR right now they need  to figure out how to fund until the end of Sept., the gov. fiscal year, but after that they still need a 2014 budget. 

We have heard that the most likely scenario in FY14 is RIFs (reduction in force).  Once you start hearing about early-outs, most likely a RIF will soon follow.  I went through this last year, when I was designated a surplus employee, but they luckily found me another position.  They couldn't do a RIF this FY because there wasn't enough time. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"