January 2013 Moms

Book Club - Gone Girl (GG) Discussion

Well, it's the end of February...so we can start the discussion! I'm not sure how best to do this, but here's what I propose: 

First, let's just start with our impressions of the book overall..and then anyone can post a thought-provoking discussion question after that.  Sound good? Let me know if anyone can think of a better way. 

Also...let's think of a book for March! Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter has been recommended to me, what do you all think?

As for GG (STOP HERE IF YOU'RE NOT DONE WITH THE BOOK!) - I thought the writing was good, I liked the thoughtful development of the story and the depth of the characters but I thought it was a bit redundant after a while. (okay, we get it...you hate eachother). I didn't like either of the characters as people, so spending so much time with them kinda bummed me out! ha

I was hoping that it would end by Amy getting arrested and thrown in jail and Nick gets full custody of the baby!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Book Club - Gone Girl (GG) Discussion

• When I first started the book, I didn't think I was going to finish it to be quite honest. Then I got more into it. It was well written. It did kind of creep me out because I am sure there are crazy people out there like Amy. 

I agree, I didn't like either characters, but especially hated Amy. I didn't like how she got away with ruining so many people's lives!! That bothered me. I also felt bad for Go because I know if this happened to one of my brothers, I would kill the b*tch. lol! I have to say, i was surprised by the ending! I was expecting something more to happen... i felt it ended abruptly. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker IMG_0941
  • It took me a while to get into it, but I did enjoy the book. I'm one of the types that likes to guess where the story's going ahead of time, so I thought Nick was going to have split personalities or that Andie abducted Amy. I, too, didn't like Nick or Amy....I think Go was the only character who didn't annoy me.

The ending was too abrupt for me. I didn't necessarily Ned/want a happy ending, but it was a let down. I think I wanted to hear things from Nick's perspective one more time. Is this book apart of a series? It would be interesting to see how things played out while raising a child.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with OP that the book was a little repetitive. But I did enjoy it. I am actually reading another book by the author right now which is pretty good.

I did like that I was unable to figure out what had happened or how it would end.

That being said. I have problems with the whole "no one will believe you" thing. Really if Nick, the ex-boyfriend, and old friend and Go all went to court with their stories, the judge wouldn't think she was clearly a little off? He would think everyone was making up their stories?

Also, can you really just take semen from a kleenex and use it to make a baby?

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• imageSunshineShades:

That being said. I have problems with the whole "no one will believe you" thing. Really if Nick, the ex-boyfriend, and old friend and Go all went to court with their stories, the judge wouldn't think she was clearly a little off? He would think everyone was making up their stories?

I thought she got the semen from the doctor's office that they went to when they were originally trying for a baby.  But I definitely agree that they someone would believe them! 

• imagePeachkew143:
    imageSunshineShades:

I thought she got the semen from the doctor's office that they went to when they were originally trying for a baby.  But I definitely agree that they someone would believe them! 

Whoops! I just went back and reread that. I only read the part before about tissue and recliner I guess lol.

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• It was interesting, to say the least. I obviously didn't like the characters, but I also don't think you're really supposed to like them! The story itself was very intriguing, but definitely not realistic. I thought it was interesting commentary on our society and the role media plays in criminal cases. That sensationalist journalist lady reminded me of Nancy Grace.

I thought somehow Amy was going to pin it on the dad in the end, and like pp I didn't like the ending it gave. I'm not sure why Nick didn't turn over the vomit to the police, that would have given his story some credibility. Also, maybe its a bit old fashioned, but why did no one take a lie detector test?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagePeachkew143:

When I first started the book, I didn't think I was going to finish it to be quite honest. Then I got more into it. It was well written. It did kind of creep me out because I am sure there are crazy people out there like Amy. 

I agree, I didn't like either characters, but especially hated Amy. I didn't like how she got away with ruining so many people's lives!! That bothered me. I also felt bad for Go because I know if this happened to one of my brothers, I would kill the b*tch. lol! I have to say, i was surprised by the ending! I was expecting something more to happen... i felt it ended abruptly. 

The end of this book made me so mad.  I thought Go should have iced Amy for sure and buried her behind the bar!  That would have made for a great ending.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • it took almost two hundred pages for me to get into the book. The characters were hateful but the story was very well written and thought out. All the planning that the author must have thought through before writing the final book is insane
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I enjoyed the book and thought it was a great twist on the murder-mystery genre. I  loved how dysfunctional the lead characters were and I enjoyed not liking them. They deserve each other.
  • I enjoyed this book and couldn't stop reading it until I finished. I was disappointed in the ending and also thought that it ended rather abruptly. I turned to the next page expecting another chapter at least. I guess that's good though because you can decide what happens next. I predicted early on that Amy wasn't dead and that she had run away and was framing Nick. I read and watch too many mysteries but I was kind of disappointed that I figured a lot of the plot out before it happened. I also thought that Amy was going to blame the dad somehow. I didn't like Nick much but I REALLY did not like Amy. What an evil B! I wanted Nick to get back at her and send her to jail in the end.

My library book club read "Beautiful Ruins" for our February book. I got through a third of it and never finished because I couldn't go to the meeting. I never really got into it. There are two stories going on at once in the book. One was ok, the other bored me to death. I prefer mysteries and fast paced books that keep me reading to find out what happens next, but maybe I just didn't read far enough yet!
  • So what did you all think about her rant on The Cool Girl? Do you think Cool Girls genuinely exist or do you think it's all an act?

Her rant resonated with me because when I used to date , and even early in my marriage, I found myself trying to "play it cool". Many things truly don't bother me, but I have tried to be aloof about things that annoyed me to not seems like THAT girlfriend/wife.
  • Ooo, good question! I think The Cool Girl could exist but I don't think there are too many ladies out there. But for most part, I think it is an act. I had a friend that pretended to be 'The Cool Girl' and after two years, then had to 'restart' their relationship. And that was rough. She wasnt so cool with what he did when they lived together!! 

I know I am definitely not The Cool Girl! lol! I let my husband know (even when we were dating) when something bothered me, whether it was coming home at 4:30 am with a few of his buddies that ends up sleeping in the guest rooms and couch or it was just something he said! But I think he knew what he was getting when we first started to date. 

I think that was what Amy's problem was that she wasn't true to herself plus she was psycho.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"