July 2012 Moms

Baby Sign Language?

Who's trying it?  How are you working on it?  In theory I want to try it; in actuality, I don't get around to using it every day (I would want to start with just a few, "more", "milk" "all done"), and he's in daycare where they do not use it, as far as I know.

Re: Baby Sign Language?

• I do it here and there. I slacked big time. The only one i do daily is all gone.lol. She flips when food runs out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • Daycare does one new sign a month. I try really hard to practice it at home too but I don't always keep it up. We have done milk, more, eat, and hurt so far.

• Loading the player...
  • imagekitchencolors:

I bet you can find videos of babies signing on youtube...

Good idea!  I'm looking and there's tons, including lots of Baby Einstein stuff.  Better than buying something!

• imageThePinkSuperhero:
    imagekitchencolors:

I bet you can find videos of babies signing on youtube...

Good idea!  I'm looking and there's tons, including lots of Baby Einstein stuff.  Better than buying something!

There is also a sign language app for your phone. But YouTube is the free route. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • I do it, but LO mostly thinks they're funny, especially "all done." He doesn't seem to be making the connection yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We dabble in it...LOL.

We have been using "milk", "eat", and "more" for a few weeks now and he definitely already knows what "milk" and "eat" mean. "More" seems like a little harder concept (plus I forget to sign it alot) so it is taking longer. All I have to do is sign milk and he immediately gets all excited and then angry if I don't get him his bottle fast enough.

My question is when do they actually start signing back? Like when does the change from understanding the signs to actually using them take place?

• We've been signing since 4 months and I feel like she understands them She's 7 months today and she doesn't sign yet.Our book says around 8 months and up for signing back.

Eta: we work in signs whenever appropriate or when it pops up into our conversations. We do eat, more, mom, dad, milk, dog, and bath so far.
    imageimage

• We do some signs: Up, all done, thank you, more and I've just started including book. I refuse to do milk, cause I hate that the symbol references milking a cow, and I'm not a cow [I think].

I'm not very consistent with it... But he does seem to understand up. And has been sort of making the all done symbol when eating lately, but it's also sorta how he waves and he still wants to eat after doing it so I don't think he quite gets the concept.
  • We have been working on "milk", "eat" "mommy" ,"daddy", "dog". If i sign "Milk" Cooper gets all crazy and will start fishing around in my shirt. I think he signed it back once or twice, but I'm not certain. I need to step it up, and H needs to REMEMBER!!!
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Liam knows eat, milk, and more. We are currently starting please. At first I just checked out videos and websites online but then I found a book called Baby Signs for Idiots and have been using that. I taught him milk by signing just before nursing everytime. Eat was taught before every solids eating which is three times a day for us . It is crucial that when you teach "eat" that you only sign just before giving them food or While preparing their food otherwise they moght confuse it for more when trying to teach more. We do more in between bites. I set the spoon down and sign and ask, "more?" After his bowl or plate is empty I show him then set it down and sign and say, "all done!" This includes after our nursing sessions and he has pulled off though I usually pose it as a question rather than a statement to see if he is done nursing.

He hasn't quite grasped "all done" and has never actually motioned it but we are still working on it. It's really cute when we sign eat and to see how happy he gets and he brings his hand to his mouth. Sorry this was long, but this is just what we do.

Eta: also his version of "more" is when he grabs his hands together and pats them up and down. He doesn't have exactly the correct motion down but he knows what it means and we know what he wants.
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"