Working Moms

what movie/TV show most accurately portrays your job?

I'm a psychiatrist.  

During residency, I definitely thought it was "scrubs." 

Now, I would like to think it is "In Treatment," but it is probably more like "What about Bob."

Re: what movie/TV show most accurately portrays your job?

• God, I hope "In Treatment" wouldn't include his boundary issues.  That would be difficult and I thought a little unrealistic on how that was handled.

I'm a social worker, in child welfare.  Hard to say - unfortunately I think "Precious" really reflected the struggles with teenagers, especially with school, when they are sexually abused/a parent/in the system. I thought Mariah Carey's role in that was fairly accurate.

Unfortunately, I see it mostly in the media as a bunch of baby-snatchers or mean group home mothers (such as "Annie"). It's hard to say what my job is really like, since I'm more administrative, but House of Cards, the series on Netflix, has the wife running a non-profit. Not even close to the reality that I've seen. That is one fancy non-profit.

University of Kansas alum Geoff Folker applies food coloring to his snow sculpture at his home on Park Street in Olathe, Kan., on Sunday, March 24, 2013.  A storm that dumped up to 15 inches of snow on parts of Colorado and Kansas is making its way east, with winter storm warnings and advisories issued for today and tomorrow as far east as Pennsylvania. (AP Photo/The Kansas City Star, John Sleezer)

January OAD Siggy Challenge: Creative Snow Sculptures

• There isn't really a good one for me. Office Space? If Dilbert were a movie/TV show, maybe that?

In a previous job, I really did have to deal with TPS reports.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• Loading the player...
  • imageAgo:

God, I hope "In Treatment" wouldn't include his boundary issues.  That would be difficult and I thought a little unrealistic on how that was handled.

I'm a social worker, in child welfare.  Hard to say - unfortunately I think "Precious" really reflected the struggles with teenagers, especially with school, when they are sexually abused/a parent/in the system. I thought Mariah Carey's role in that was fairly accurate.

Unfortunately, I see it mostly in the media as a bunch of baby-snatchers or mean group home mothers (such as "Annie"). It's hard to say what my job is really like, since I'm more administrative, but House of Cards, the series on Netflix, has the wife running a non-profit. Not even close to the reality that I've seen. That is one fancy non-profit.

lol...no boundary issues like that, but a lot of sitting in a chair and talking. 

• yeah - not a lot of movies about middle managers at law firms. . ..
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • when I was a dog groomer, there were days I felt like I should be aired on an episode of dirty jobs with mike rowe lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelasposa425:
    I'm a transactional attorney.  There are quite a few legal shows out there but they are almost always dealing with litigators.  What I do isn't nearly as exciting.
    wait - its not all LA Law and Law & Order??
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I seriously went to law school because I loved Law and Order.  Ok I'm not stupid I knew it wouldn't be like tv but it was part of the reason.

I clerked at the Cook County Public Defender's office in Chicago for a year while I was a law student and the stuff that went down there was really like tv.  Back then I would say that show "the first 48" was accurate.  We were visiting jails and in the lock ups and gathering evidence and stuff.  It was grimy.  

Now I'm a bankruptcy attorney and no shows portray what I do.  My job is:

Meet w/clients, talk about how they should file bankruptcy, tell them not to hide assets please, and beg them to pay us.  Oh then I prepare the petition, file it, go to meetings and court and blah.  

Some aspects of my job would make for good tv like the stories behind the bankruptcy filings. 

• Betty White's Off their Rocker?  Well, on days I get to go into the communities.  Most days its just like Office Space.
  • Bad Teacher.

LOL, just kidding!!!  Although on bad days, I do feel like throwing a dodge ball at some of my students :) 

• Mad Men

I help wrangle the creatives, so I guess I'm some incarnation of Joan, just for a much larger firm.

(And yes, it's pretty accurate, although there's a lot more work to being done!) 

• a civil defense litigation attorney here, and no, it's not as dramatic, or glamorous as the shows and movies make it out to be.  we don't all live in big cities in huge penthouses, and wear fancy suits and grill people until they break down on the stand...  there's a lot of paper work for insurance company clients and you aren't in court everyday and we don't all make 6 figures straight out of law school.  you constantly deal with greedy plaintiffs, stubborn insurance companies, doctors and experts that lie for money and shitty combative attorneys every day (there are disproportionate amount of attorneys that have problem personalities)  I wish someone had told me all this before I decided to go to law school! 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • Somewhere between Spin City and West Wing.

But I'd trade it all in a minute for The Daily Show.  ;)

• imagelasposa425:
    imageLibraryChica:
    imagelasposa425:

imageKathrynMD:
    imagelasposa425:
    I'm a transactional attorney.  There are quite a few legal shows out there but they are almost always dealing with litigators.  What I do isn't nearly as exciting.
    wait - its not all LA Law and Law & Order??

Ha! Exactly :)

But you do hear "BUM BUM" whenever something interesting happens, right? Don't crush my dreams.

All the time ;)

I was hoping it was like Ally McBeal... ;)

• I would say mine is like Office Space w/o Hawaii shirt Friday!  I work in cubicles with a bunch of boring,stiff, Accountants.
  • There's definitely no shows about a systems librarian at an academic library, but I think the closest would be the I.T. Crowd, which is a British show. "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"
    Lilypie - (8zJg)Lilypie - (Eu83)
  • Tin Men
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • imagejoshandpanda:
    when I was a dog groomer, there were days I felt like I should be aired on an episode of dirty jobs with mike rowe lol

Perhaps "Dumb and Dumber" would work.  Wink

• imagemexicolombiana:

I seriously went to law school because I loved Law and Order.  Ok I'm not stupid I knew it wouldn't be like tv but it was part of the reason.

I clerked at the Cook County ....

Therefore:

The Fugitive

• imagemelosch:

Mad Men

I help wrangle the creatives, so I guess I'm some incarnation of Joan, just for a much larger firm.

(And yes, it's pretty accurate, although there's a lot more work to being done!) 

I guess this would be my answer, too. I'm an Exec. Asst. for the President of a digital ad agency. 

natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"