Parenting

Suggestions needed

My grandfather is in the hospital right now, he is dying of cancer and will be going into hospice. He is 2,000 miles away from me, I live far away from my entire family. 

I would love to send something to the hospital, something other than flowers. I would love to do something that would benefit him, my grandmother and my aunt who has been the primary caretaker. Any ideas? I would prefer to keep it relatively inexpensive since I'll be buying a plane ticket for myself and my LO for the funeral.

I was able to Skype with him so he could meet DD earlier this week. It was very emotional for both of us. She told him her name and how old she was, and he told her she was beautiful through his tears...gah I was a puddle. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Suggestions needed

• I totally agree that a gift card would be nice. I am on mobile and don't know how old DD is but I am sure they would all get a kick out of it if you sent some of her artwork along with whatever gift you choose.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Is it possible that you and your daughter fly out to meet your grandfather, rather than go to the funeral. It seems he was glad to meet your dd on Skype I'm sure he would love to meet her in person.
  • Loading the player...
  • I also think a gc for a meal would be wonderful.

I love that you Skyped and that your grandfather got to meet your daughter.  When my H's grandmother passed last year we sent her a video of the three of us and when she watched it she thought it was live (she was a little out of it) and was telling C how beautiful she was and how much she loved her.  I was glad to be able to bring her a little sliver of love and joy at the end.  And now I am a puddle of tears too. 

• imageChrissyMarie007:
    Is it possible that you and your daughter fly out to meet your grandfather, rather than go to the funeral. It seems he was glad to meet your dd on Skype I'm sure he would love to meet her in person.

Ive thought about this, but there is a strained relationship with my parents, me doing this would cause them to create family drama and bring attention to themselves instead of him. The other family members do not need their dramatics in a time like this, it would do more harm than good. I wouldn't doubt if my parents tried to prevent me from entering the hospital. 

There are several family members that I haven't been able to see since I moved away, and the funeral would be the best time to see them a at once.  Its going to cost me at least 1,200 to fly just the two of us out, and time out of work will be easier with bereavement leave. 

Thanks everyone, the food sounds like a great idea!  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"