April 2013 Moms
Options

Meet & Greet w/Pediatrician

Today DH and I are meeting with a pediatrician. I would like to have a few questions to ask him so he doesn't think we're just wasting his time. I know that I for sure want to ask him about delaying a few vaccinations and who would we see if he is out of the office. Any other questions or things to bring up that you ladies can think of?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Meet & Greet w/Pediatrician

• Options
    Ask how he feels about breastfeeding if you are going to, you will want to know if he is going to be supportive if you are having difficulties or immediatly push formula feeding. What days do they have off...who to contact in a non-emergency situation...maybe even their thoughts on the healthcare reform and how they think it will affect their practice.
  • Options

Here are a few questions...

After office hours, who answers question, is there a clinic?

How easy/difficult is it to get an appt?

Are they open to delaying vaccinations? (mine wasn't on certain ones)

Sick vs. well child waiting area available?

How often will you get the doctor you choose vs. another doctor in the practice?

how do they feel about urgency in prescribing antibiotics?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Great questions, ladies! I'm making a list Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    the above and also....Ask about which dr. will visit baby in the hospital once he/she is born for their peds exam, how often they will visit while you are there (many come once a day), and when your first in-office appointment would be scheduled for. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagenma1227:

Here are a few questions...

After office hours, who answers question, is there a clinic?

How easy/difficult is it to get an appt?

Are they open to delaying vaccinations? (mine wasn't on certain ones)

Sick vs. well child waiting area available?

How often will you get the doctor you choose vs. another doctor in the practice?

how do they feel about urgency in prescribing antibiotics?

I like all of these.  

Also, are they open weekends? 

Who do you talk to after hours? (Do they have an after hours line?) 

Do their philosophies on sleep training, breast feeding, vaccinations, etc match up with yours?

What insurance do they accept and which hospitals do they have privileges at? 

Will they be checking on your baby at delivery or would it be the hospital's on call doctor?  How soon do they want to see LO in office after delivery? 

And a question for yourself.  How did you feel when you were talking with them?  Are you going to feel comfortable asking them questions (especially ones that you are worried are dumb or silly)?  We're they patient or did they make you feel rushed?  I personally feel we get better treatment from doctors that take the time to listen and make us feel comfortable.  Our pediatrician was out of the office last week and we had to go in twice and saw 2 of his partners.  The first one was great, not rushed, listened and took the time to get to know DS.  The second one was in a hurry, he treated us like we weren't listening and talked down to us, and I felt like he was checked out as soon as he walked into the room.  I've heard great things about him, but he wouldn't be a great fit for us as our primary physician for LO.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
    You fill me!!! Z! My BFP Chart
  • Options

This was a good resource/starting off point for us. I also added some about whether or not they have a NP and a few others. Sorry it's not clicky link... 

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxwY25ndWlkZXxneDoxZGFlN2IwOGJkMjcwNzIy

-Jackie "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans" - John Lennon
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"