Babies on the Brain

Two girls, trying for a boy & need any advice

Hello!

Of course, above all we want a healthy baby but we are going to try for a boy after having two girls. I have read the Shettles method, just ordered a basal thermometer & bought ovulation tests.

Has anyone had experience with this? Or recommend an ovulation test, I am still a little confuse what would be the best days to have sex based on the test.

Thanks so much! My husband says he needs to boy to help him with all these girls :)

Re: Two girls, trying for a boy & need any advice

• The ONLY way to pick is through adoption or by going to a dr and having them pick out the embryos.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Timing may help improve your odds, but only by the smallest fraction. The science behind it makes sense, but there are just too many variables that bring the odds back down to 50/50.
  • Loading the player...
  • It really is 50/50.  I conceived both kids 1 day before ovulation and I have 1 of each. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemagdalina.h:
    The ONLY way to pick is through adoption or by going to a dr and having them pick out the embryos.

In most cases even this isn't a possibility. The vast majority of agencies don't let you pick based on sex. Some will in cases like the OP where there are already two of one sex in the home, but even in those instances, it increases your wait time significantly.

And no RE worth his license in the US would put a fertile couple through IVF w/ PGD just so they could get a male embryo (it'san option for couples dealing with sex-linked genetic abnormalities).

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • imageDebateThis:

imagemagdalina.h:
    The ONLY way to pick is through adoption or by going to a dr and having them pick out the embryos.

In most cases even this isn't a possibility. The vast majority of agencies don't let you pick based on sex. Some will in cases like the OP where there are already two of one sex in the home, but even in those instances, it increases your wait time significantly.

And no RE worth his license in the US would put a fertile couple through IVF w/ PGD just so they could get a male embryo (it'san option for couples dealing with sex-linked genetic abnormalities).

Did not know that.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I've heard the shettles method is acurate about 50% of the time. Wink

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• We have three boys, of course each time we hope it's a girl but we are not going to be sad if it isn't a girl. There's no way to ensure you have a boy.

• imageTwinkie0612:

I've heard the shettles method is acurate about 50% of the time. Wink

Just getting drunk and having sex pretty much gives you the same odds.  ;)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMandJS:

That all said. Unless you and your DH would be just as happy with another girl, don't. Seriously. I know you say you just want a healthy baby, but then you also say your husband needs a boy. I am skeptical about the Shettles method actually working. 

This!! Don't try to get pregnant if you're going to be disappointed if you have another girl. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is a lot of information on ingender.com 

Not sure if you have been there yet, just thought I would mention it. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • imageDebateThis:

Actually, you are wrong.

There are a few IVF clinics in the US that do "Family Balancing" (their term, not mine).  GIVF, a clinic in the DC area, is one of them --> https://www.givf.com/familybalancing/

OP, I agree with the others.  I would just TTC as normal and cross your fingers.  If you get another healthy baby you are very very lucky.  If it is a boy, that is icing on the cake. 

If you really want to read up on the crazy ways people "sway", you can go to www.ingender.com

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• You know, there may be no "sure fire" method, but what little I read worked for me.  Sex that allows for the deepest penetration is recommended.  The sperm that carry the Y chromosome are faster swimmers but are less hardy than X chromosome sperm.  ( they don't last as long) I read that you should have sex 12 to 48 hours  after ovulation, this gives the Y chromosome sperm the best chance at getting there fast and fertilizing the egg that has already dropped.

there is some chance involved I'm sure, but I took an ovulation test for four days, the day it popped up that I was ovulating, we did it 2 or three times in that 24 hour period, 4 and a half weeks later, pregnant with a baby boy!

good luck!!! 

• imagecrystalmarie903:

You know, there may be no "sure fire" method, but what little I read worked for me.  Sex that allows for the deepest penetration is recommended.  The sperm that carry the Y chromosome are faster swimmers but are less hardy than X chromosome sperm.  ( they don't last as long) I read that you should have sex 12 to 48 hours  after ovulation, this gives the Y chromosome sperm the best chance at getting there fast and fertilizing the egg that has already dropped.

there is some chance involved I'm sure, but I took an ovulation test for four days, the day it popped up that I was ovulating, we did it 2 or three times in that 24 hour period, 4 and a half weeks later, pregnant with a baby boy!

good luck!!! 

No offense, but the fact that you had a boy isn't proof that the method worked. I had a boy, too, and I didn't follow any specific "method" other than to have sex during my fertile window. You had a 50% chance of having a boy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have don't a lot of reading on this and we plan to chart so we try at the right time for a boy, and sorry in advanced, but there is research to support deeper penetration playing a part, do what you gotta do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"