Stay at Home Moms
Options

Mean Mom of the Year Award...

Goes to me. The HIGH SCHOOL in our school system is playing in the high school basketball final today at 10:30. DD is one of only 9 kids {out of 22} in her class not going. It's not so much that I care that she misses school {the schools are excuses all the absences} but that I do NOT want to go to a high school basketball game.

Oh well, the 9 that are staying get to watch movies and the game on TV. I've heard there were going to be snacks. She's pretty stoked. :) 

Re: Mean Mom of the Year Award...

• Options
    Thats not mean, its holding your standards. I agree with you that an 8 year old should not go unless a sibling or cousin is playing.  Its strange to me that the game is in the middle of the school day and not after school or on a weekend.  Our final games were always played in an Arena like Madison Square garden, or at Rutgers etc
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Options

imageEmmakins87:
    Thats not mean, its holding your standards. I agree with you that an 8 year old should not go unless a sibling or cousin is playing.  Its strange to me that the game is in the middle of the school day and not after school or on a weekend.  Our final games were always played in an Arena like Madison Square garden, or at Rutgers etc

All of the games have been on the weekdays during school.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageEmmakins87:

Agreed. She might think it's mean, but it's not truly. You're looking out for her best interests, which is what the best mothers do :)  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagejoyfullyfound:

imageEmmakins87:

Agreed. She might think it's mean, but it's not truly. You're looking out for her best interests, which is what the best mothers do :)  

She really only complained once. It's mostly OTHER parents who think I'm nuts. It comes from living in Mayberry...it's very team spirit here! 

• Options
    imagejoyfullyfound:

imageEmmakins87:

I don't think it's mean, it's totally up to you Kate. I don't really get how it's looking out for her best interest though. I just don't think it matters either way. I never went to HS basketball games until at least Jr.High and my dad eventually coached HS boys basketball anyhow. In HS I was a cheerleader and loved watching basketball but at 8 I would absolutely have chosen staying at school and watching movies and eating snacks haha

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I don't think it's inappropriate for her to go but I think it's horrible that the school is placing more importance on a basketball game than education. Not everyone is interested in sports so why, for lack of a better word, cancel learning for a day? Especially with all this pressure if common core learning standards and state testing .

• Options

imagejjt616:
    I don't think it's inappropriate for her to go but I think it's horrible that the school is placing more importance on a basketball game than education. Not everyone is interested in sports so why, for lack of a better word, cancel learning for a day? Especially with all this pressure if common core learning standards and state testing .

I don't necessarily think that's the case. I'm from a small town that was obsessed with sports. We didn't get out for every game but play off/ regional type games we would be allowed early dismissal. Learning for elementary kids doesn't just stop because formal instruction isn't going on. They are interacting with their peers on a bus ride, sharing snacks, talking about the game and cheering for their team. It facilitate a sense of community as they're all cheering for the older kids from their district. The kids that are staying back are also getting a break from everyday class time to hang out and connect with each other in a more casual setting, watching movies, playing games and enjoying snacks. I'm sure it doesn't happen all the time and it surely shouldn't be classified as a horrible thing.

Also, I would just like to point out that 9 out of 22 isn't really that small of a number. That means that 13 kids are going which is really only a little more than half. It's a special event. The kids are going to have fun regardless of weather the attend the game or stay at school. They're not going to be damaged academically either way.

And Kate isn't a mean mom. (Except for the time she wouldn't let her DD look up her homework online to teach her personal responsibility Stick out tongue )

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

There was no bus for kids her age...if they went, it was with their parents...which is why I said I didn't want to go. There were buses for the middle school and high school kids.

Oh and BTW...it wasn't even the final!! I had it wrong, it was just the semis. Lordy! 

• Options
    imageLatteLady5:

And Kate isn't a mean mom. (Except for the time she wouldn't let her DD look up her homework online to teach her personal responsibility Stick out tongue )

That totally worked out btw! :) 

• Options
    imageKateMW:
    imageLatteLady5:

That totally worked out btw! :) 

Haha! I was just going to say but you ALREADY got the Mean Mom of Year Award!  You need to share the title with the rest of us :P

DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"