Breastfeeding

Oh the Guilt

My sweet LO doesn't cry in the night to be fed (3 weeks old), so I'm setting my alarm every 3 hours to get her up and feed her.

I am exhausted and this morning slept through it an extra hour! 4 hours once in the night wouldn't be a big deal, but she had low weight gain at her 2 week appt and I've been pumping and supplementing with bottles of breast milk. Every feeding is kind of  like a double, since I bottle feed her, then pump (and we still try the breast first every few feedings).

I just want to make sure she is getting enough and I felt such a pang of guilt when I realized I had overslept. Once in bed, I have SUCH a hard time getting up to feed her. I almost wish she would cry to be fed so it would force me out of bed! I'm just so exhausted. :) I know this will pass and I need to hang in there, but dang it's tough! 

Re: Oh the Guilt

• Bedsharing saved my sanity.

And you're a great mom. One longer sleep won't make any difference in long run. I'm sure you're almost to the point that you can turn the alarm off. 

• I did that a few times and slept through the 3 hour alarm when DD wasn't back to her birthweight yet. The day the pedi said I didn't have to wake her any more I wanted to throw my alarm out the window! Haha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • unless your pedi is concerned for some reason, you don't need to wake a 3-week old. Enjoy your sleep.
  • imagesosoph:
    unless your pedi is concerned for some reason, you don't need to wake a 3-week old. Enjoy your sleep.

I agree! Did your pedi tell you to wake your LO? If not, I would just make sure she eats well durring the day and let her sleep at night! GL!

• imagePaMommy02:

imagesosoph:
    unless your pedi is concerned for some reason, you don't need to wake a 3-week old. Enjoy your sleep.

I agree! Did your pedi tell you to wake your LO? If not, I would just make sure she eats well durring the day and let her sleep at night! GL!

We've been advised by the pedi and LC to wake every 3, with one 4 hr stretch ok, but not more. She was almost back to birthweight at 2w 6d, just 2 oz to go. Maybe once she's on track they'll give us the all clear? 

• If it makes you feel any better, I skipped a feeding when DS was only hours old.  I woke up at the right time, but I had been sweating and then got the chills.  I was shaking so hard I was worried I would drop him.  I ended up sliding over to a dry spot in the bed, warmed up, and went back to sleep.  It didn't occur to me until the next time I woke up that I could have called the nurses to change the sheets for dry ones and gotten help feeding him.
    Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"