July 2012 Moms

Am I crazy? Road trip with LO

My parents rent a condo in Florida every year for spring break and this year they invited me and DD to go along (DH can't get off work). It would basically be a free vacation - they would probably pay for most of the food, the place is on the beach and they have friends nearby that have a pool. I do want to go - I am going stir crazy in the house in this crappy weather and I would love to spend the time with my parents since they don't live close.

The only problem - we live in Michigan and would be driving, it's about 22 hours each way. So we're talking a total of four days in the car with the baby plus two hotel nights... is this insane? She usually does great in the car, but we've never driven more than about 4 hours at once.

Flying isn't an option because of the cost (hello spring break rate hikes!). WWYD? Anyone been on a longer car trip with the LO? 

Re: Am I crazy? Road trip with LO

• Haha, I would just pay for the flights. The place where you are staying is free, so it evens out.  If you can fly mid-week, early morning/night, it might be cheaper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • I must be crazy because I say go for it. We've done two. 6 hour trips, which obviously is much shorter, but it wasn't too bad. However I'd be keeping my eyes on flights and trying to book a cheap one if possible.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAPendola:
    Haha, I would just pay for the flights. The place where you are staying is free, so it evens out.  If you can fly mid-week, early morning/night, it might be cheaper.

I wish I could, but they are close to $1000 and we just don't have the money to spend on it... I think the cheapest ones are about $700 and that is with two layovers :( 

imagechipmunk112511:personally I wouldnt do it, I would have to make so many stops to get the baby out and play and do soemthing for a little bit, that the trip down would not be worth the time I got down there.

We actually would be gone for close to two weeks total, so we would have plenty of time in between driving. That is my worry though, we would spend so much time stopped to feed her and whatnot that it would take twice as long!

imagesummergirl1211:

Honestly, if you were going with YH or someone else, I'd say go for it. But if it's just the two of you I'd say no. That's a lot of time in the car and granted I don't know your LO, but mine would get super fussy within 4-5 hours, especially if no one is sitting in the back with her keeping her occupied. I would rather fly, even if the dates/times are weird.

ETA: I'd also be nervous to drive that far on my own with DD. What if your car breaks down, you have an accident, etc.? I always feel better having someone else in the car with me in case of emergency.

We would be driving with my mom and dad, so someone would be sitting with her and my mom is extremely helpful with her. There is no way I would attempt to do it on my own - gah! 

• If you're driving with two other people, and can stop for awhile so baby can crawl around & play, I might try it.
  • imagesummergirl1211:

Honestly, if you were going with YH or someone else, I'd say go for it. But if it's just the two of you I'd say no. That's a lot of time in the car and granted I don't know your LO, but mine would get super fussy within 4-5 hours, especially if no one is sitting in the back with her keeping her occupied. I would rather fly, even if the dates/times are weird.

ETA: I'd also be nervous to drive that far on my own with DD. What if your car breaks down, you have an accident, etc.? I always feel better having someone else in the car with me in case of emergency.

Yeah same for me, all of that.  There's no way I would make that long of a trip on my own with LO and my H wouldn't let me.  He'd be a worried mess.  If the rest of the trip is free, and you'd only have to pay for your own ticket since your H can't go and you can hold DD on your lap, just buy a plane ticket.  The price of a plane ticket and the convenience and comfort are better than four days in the car with a 7 month old and all that gas and hotel money.

ETA: Nevermind, I see all your responses now to what everyone was saying.  If you'd be with your mom and dad and would be staying 2 weeks in between the car trips, I'd be more likely to go for it.

• imagecwm11985:
    I must be crazy because I say go for it. We've done two. 6 hour trips, which obviously is much shorter, but it wasn't too bad. However I'd be keeping my eyes on flights and trying to book a cheap one if possible.

That's a good idea, I can always see if there are any last minute deals.

I keep talking myself in and out of it... I am dying for some sunshine, but the logistics are a little daunting and we would be leaving my poor husband at home alone! But then again, how can I pass on a great free trip and lots of quality time with my family? Ah! 

• Go for it! LO and I drove from Cleveland, OH to Tampa, FL on Sunday and Monday of this week.  The total trip was about 20 hours and we made it just fine.  My BIL was nice enough to drive with us and we stopped about every 2-3 hours to get LO out of her car seat. I would be lying if I said it was easy but we only had real fussiness at the end of the long day in the car.  We did a similar trip in August and it was so worth it for a vacation.  

Also, the weather down here is GORGEOUS right now so get your butt down here!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • That's a hard one. I would totally want to go, but I have no patience for the car. We have done 3, 4-5 hour drives since we've had our first DD and that was more than enough for me!

I do hear ya on the plane tickets though. We were considering going to FL over the break but at over 600.00 each for plane tickets, we just can't do it. I'm not brave enough to drive with 2! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Let me know if you decide to drive and want to talk strategy.  :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

*Proud Air Force Wife*

"I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always.
    As long as I'm living,
    my baby you'll be."
  • imageAPendola:
    Haha, I would just pay for the flights. The place where you are staying is free, so it evens out.  If you can fly mid-week, early morning/night, it might be cheaper.

This.  If you can find a nighttime flight, then the baby could sleep and it would be cheaper.  I don't think I'm brave enough to drive 4 days with a baby...but then, my kid is scary after about 15 minutes in the car, so I'm probably a little biased.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageJAck5209:
    Let me know if you decide to drive and want to talk strategy.  :)

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you had a successful trip! I may take you up on that!

imagekitchencolors:

At $0.50/mile plus hotels, is driving really that much cheaper?

ETA: I'd probably go either way. Gotta stay sane!

If I drive with my parents, they will pay for everything (gas and hotel). If I fly, I'm paying for it. We are pretty broke at the moment, so I'm being a huge mooch by going on this trip. 

• We did 12 hours with LO for Thanksgiving. However, he is normally NOT great in the car. Needless to say, it was 12 hours of hell.

Babies get restless easily (just like little kids) and want to stretch/move around. Plus, factor in feeding and diaper changes and a 22 hour trip is easily 25 or so hours. Thats a looooooong time. I would decide if it is worth the air fare since your trip is practically free. If not, then I would probably decide it is not worth the drive, but thats just me. All babies are different and maybe yours would handle it well, but they are too young to understand whats going on and even on our 12 hour car trip, I felt almost cruel keeping him in his car seat for so long (granted he was crying).

• Since you'll be driving with your parents that will help. If I were you, I would consider driving down with them and then flying back with LO. That way you save some money and some headache.

I am a fan of flying ... But driving is better than skipping the vacation. :
  • imageAPendola:
    Since you'll be driving with your parents that will help. If I were you, I would consider driving down with them and then flying back with LO. That way you save some money and some headache. I am a fan of flying ... But driving is better than skipping the vacation. :

That's a really good idea too. I think I've talked myself back into it. We've made the 4 hour drive to my parents' house quite a few times and she always does great, so I'm hoping it will at least be manageable. And my parents are really flexible with timing and driving at night while she's asleep - and like you said, driving is better than staying at home in the snow!

And I can always go with the idea that if the drive down royally sucks, I will spend the money and fly home with her. 

• I would not do it. But my lo hates to be in the car and starts fussing after 30 minutes...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"