Breastfeeding

Is he getting enough?

DS will be 1 week old tomorrow. How do I know if he's getting enough via BF? I ordered a scale so I can keep up with his weight. He's having lots of wet diapers, but the poop diapers are slow coming, only 1 yesterday, none today thus far. Is that cause for concern?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is he getting enough?

• Our Pedi says they should be feeding 8-12 times a day. Poop he's not usually so concerned with as long as they're not struggling.

When do you go/go back to the Pedi?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • I rented a scale and I looove it. I am a type a personality, and I love keeping track of his intake. My understanding is that in the early days, poops may be variable and wet diapers are a better indicator. For the first week they should have as many wet diapers as they are days old. For example a 4 day old shoukd have at least 4. Then they should have at least 67 every day from a week on. My LO is between 4 and 5 weeks and now has too many wet diapers to keep track of. The poops should change over to a yellow seedy consistency when your milk comes in. I had a c section, so it took a couple of extra days for my milk to fully come in, but when it did LO was 7 days old and his poops changed drastically. Hope this helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • 6 to 7 not 67! On my phone sorry
  • After DS was about 1 month old his poops were every 5-7 days, before a month he didn't always poo everyday.  It's normal for a BF baby to go longer between poo's (BM is very easily digested).

The weighted feeding will probably help ease your mind, but it's normal.

Like pp said as long as LO isn't struggling to go.

Married 6-7-08
    Everett 4-27-12
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"