February 2012 Moms

Anxiety

So, I know there are a few ladies on this board who,have first hand experience with anxiety issues/disorders. Talk to me, ladies, cause I think I might need help. I'm really unsure about it. I'm not sure that what I have could be classified as ppa. (I'm not asking anyone to diagnose me, ftr) I would just like to have an open discussion about what anxiety looks like and what I could/should possibly do.

I should classify all of this by saying that my dh has an anxiety disorder, and takes meds for it. That is one of the flags that set me off-I am behaving in a manner that reminds me of mh off meds. Some things that have made me think I might have a problem:

-I have been a royal b*tch to my husband. I am surprised he is still married to me. He can never do anything right, I feel like I can't stand him (which is not true), and every little thing he does gets on my nerves, even though he is wonderful.

-I haven't felt like myself since before I had Paul. The other day dh and I were installing a faucet together and we started being goofy, and I realized I hadn't laughed like that in a really long time. Like, going on a year long time. I am normally a cheery, fun person, and I'm not anymore. 

- I have moments of sheer rage. They are not frequent, and they are fleeting, and thankfully, I have not hurt a living creature but I have punched walls, kicked things, yelled, etc. which is not me. At all.

-little things can completely cripple me. I couldn't get Paul to hold still for a diaper change last week, and I ended up sobbing on the floor while he crawled around half naked.

Help me? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anxiety

• Sorry, that was getting super long but I wanted to add that I have been to counseling before with dh for marital issues, so I am not opposed to that, I am just not sure if I am at that level of need yet? I am also planning to start running, which I think will be a good stress reliever for me.

• Are you on any form of bc? You sound like me when I was on bc. I got mad at the drop of a hat. I cried at the drop of a hat. Was very easily agitated! The simplest things would set me off. I had to change my bc. It was almost an instant relief. So, if your on something, you might need to have it changed.

• Loading the player...
  • imagemirroredimage:

You sound like me at my lowest point of PPD after Jack and just before my BFP. I thought I had been handling things fine but then I realized that I was flailing, just trying to keep my head above water.

My mood would fluctuate from agreeable to raging lunatic within seconds. It could be promoted by a bad driver, a look I didn't like, or a comment I took the wrong way.

I'm crediting my quick improvement on quick action. I noticed the signs and started doing something about it before things got so dark I thought they were hopeless.  I was also vocal about it on here, the FB page, on Kate's BMB.  Sometimes just talking things out helps. So does knowing that a step in a healing has been taken.  I first talked with my OB about my cocpncerns 2 weeks prior to doing anything about it.  Just saying the words "I'm struggling and I need help" made me feel better because I knew that someone else knew and would make sure I was taken care of. 

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking  for but it is my story. I think it's wonderful that you're trying to figure this out and that you're being open about it. Running - or any exercise - would be a great way to increase your endorphin level. Another thing you might want to try is journaling. Use it to get the negative things out but try and end each entry with some positive about that day.  Good luck. 

Sorry this is so long and for any typos, I'm on my iPad.  

That is exactly what I am looking for, thank you. Knowing that to okay to say that I'm not okay and I need help, and that maybe this is something I can't fix by myself.

• imagejmccall79:
    Are you on any form of bc? You sound like me when I was on bc. I got mad at the drop of a hat. I cried at the drop of a hat. Was very easily agitated! The simplest things would set me off. I had to change my bc. It was almost an instant relief. So, if your on something, you might need to have it changed.

Nope, not on bc.  

• I am in the same boat right now, trying to decide whether my anxiety is something I should be seeing someone about.

My anxiety seems to mostly be work related. I get anxious about going back to work on Mondays. I get what feels like panic attacks every time something goes even a little bit wrong at work (today I was on the verge of tears all day because of an unexpected scheduling conflict). I get so anxious about talking to my boss and some of my coworkers that I just don't do it. I have the kind of job people love, and a job that I used to love, but I think about quitting every single day. It's been going on since shortly after I went back to work six months ago.

I have been debating whether I should go through my OB (because it's probably PP related), or my family doctor. But I have come to the conclusion that it is time to talk to someone.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was in the same boat a few months ago.  I was crying at the drop of a hat, being VERY short and snipppy with DH, and just feeling generally anxious and overwhelmed.  I talked to my OB about it at my annual checkup, and she put me on a low dose of Lexapro.  It did wonders for me.  It took a little while to build up in my system, but once it did, I started to feel like myself again.  I also felt relief that I had told someone about it.

Good luck, and know that there is help out there that is relatively easy to access.  I hope that you start to feel better soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Exercise has really helped me deal with my anxiety.  It comes & goes but I joined a gym & felt better pretty quickly.  I started doing yoga and it really made a big difference.  ALso, i notice when i eat healthier i feel better.  I cut back on the caffeine & that also made a pretty big difference.  I think its great that you are being honest with yourself & being proactive. I am sober & felt the more natural route would be best for me.  But you know yourself best.  It might make you feel better to discuss with a dr. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"