Babies: 0 - 3 Months

XP - LO cough/choking while drinking bottle

DD has been bottle fed formula since just shy of 1 week old.  She seemed to do fine with it.  Now, in the last few days she has started very frequently choke/coughing while drinking her bottles.

It definitely tends to happen more often when she's tired/drowsy than while fully awake.  It also tends to happen when she's further into her bottles rather than when she just starts and is really super actively sucking because she's hungry. 

She'll just be drinking along and then all of the sudden she'll kind of pause and then she'll cough a few times.  Sometimes it's just coughing, sometimes you can tell she's kind of choking a little and gasping a bit.  The coughing and everything is only for a few seconds and then she's totally fine and back to wanting to eat, but then it'll happen again. 

She's not doing anything out of the ordinary other than this, no spitting up, doesn't seem to be in pain or anything like that, I just can't figure it out.  I suspect it's just like she's getting out of rhythm with her sucking and the liquid is collecting in her throat, but why does it keep happening if that's the case and why is it just starting now at 5 weeks when she's been fine up until the last few days?  Also, you think she'd learn not to allow this to keep happening because it certainly can't be enjoyable to her. 

Anyone experience this?  Thoughts?  Is it something I should be concerned about?

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
*My Blog*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
10/50 Read

my read shelf:
Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: XP - LO cough/choking while drinking bottle

• Could it be that the nipples are now too slow? Cuz it could be that she can eat X amount of formula, but since it isn't as efficient as she is the sucking action will start making her sleepy. So she'll pause, slightly doze, and then choke.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Is there a time when babies typically move to stage 2 nipples?  I can't remember. 

Someone on my BMB suggested maybe the flow is too fast so I'll experiment a bit.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • DS does this during every feeding. he just gets so excited and forgets to swallow I think. Doc didn't seem concerned at all. He didn't even give it a thought. He said they're just still learning to eat.
  • My LO did this for awhile too, mostly when she was tired during her night feedings. I was just thinking today that I don't think I've noticed her doing it since we've switched to Avent bottles with the #2 nipple (1M+). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"