Babies: 6 - 9 Months

NBR - Need to vent...

Hi ladies,

Sorry, I know this isn't baby related.. but it is just bothering me to no end!

I seriously cannot lose weight. I made the mistake of weighing myself today and I weigh 160lbs (I'm 5'4") so I'm not tall by any means to cover any of it up!

Ugh, it is just so, so frustrating.. I eat well, I exercise 4 to 5 times a week. (I usually do a 20 minute Jillian Michael's video and then use my stair stepper for another 20.. maybe that isn't enough?!).. nothing is budging! I am breastfeeding, and I was at 152 for awhile, then up to 155.. now 160! I'm just lost and it's beyond depressing :( 

What do you ladies eat to maintain/lose weight? I don't want to go overboard, as I'm breastfeeding.. but man, I hate looking in the mirror now because I feel frumpy and gross.. I don't look like myself at all.. (I used to be 130lbs.. and even 140 would be nice!)

Any advice/similar stories welcome! 

Thanks for letting me vent.. :) 

Re: NBR - Need to vent...

• After I lost my water weight from my pregnancy (I lost 30lb in 3 weeks) I didn't really lose anything until after I stopped breastfeeding.

This myth that BF will make you lose a ton of weight is just that...a myth.

Soem of the weight you are putting back on could be muscle. Also, it isn't just what you are eating, but how much. do you count your calories? I know it is a pain in the but, but you may be eating more calories thatn you think you are based on what you want to lose.

Try my fitness pal website it is really easy to use for calorie and exercise, but until you stop BF you may not be able to lose the weight, so you will have to figure out what you want to do.

I know it is frustrating and hard, but try and stay positive. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Girl- I hear ya!

I run. I count calories- I use my fitness pal and LOVE it.

I also have an underactive thyroid- have you gotten your checked recently? I know my levels changed dramatically after I had our DD. 

I have about ten stubborn lbs left to lose and I blame my thyroid haha

Have you tried Weight Watchers? You can get a lot of the info for free online without having to pay the lame 30 bucks a month. Also are you a SAHM or work? I find myself eating just because- I'm a SAHM and on days where we don't go outside I try to not eat out of boredom and such.

Also drinking water, sounds weird I know, but I don't drink nearly as much as I should... maybe half! 

• Loading the player...
  • Hi! Thanks for the replies! :)

Yes, I have used My Fitness Pal before - not so much over the past couple months.. but I have, and I like it.

No, I thought about making a doc. appointment anyway though, so maybe I should get it checked. I wanted to have my blood drawn to see if I'm low on iron or anything.. I feel so crappy lately.. tired and unmotivated, ugh! It's probably the weather too.

And yes, I am a SAHM too.. I TRY so hard not to eat because it's all right here in front of me.. and if I do, I try to grab fruit or something healthy. It's hard.. I don't eat all that much, but I could be over-doing it and not even realize it. I need to start using that calorie counter again!  I drink about 70 oz. of water a day.. sometimes less. I have a 24 oz cup that I refill and refill.. so, I could probably try to drink more. I heard something like 100 oz. is ideal? (I know 64 oz is the typical suggestion, I think)

Must. Stay. Positive! I just wanna feel light, free and happier again! :)   

• Have you tried to mix it up at all?  Maybe your body is used to your routine now?  And, have you tried weight training?  Shocking the body and weight training are two very key ways to change your body and lose weight.  (Prior to DS I taught fitness classes for 10+ years, and this is the main 2 things that were "The Law")

I too have struggled with losing weight while breastfeeding. I eat healthy 95% of the time and do walk everyday, but, I tried working out more intensely, weight training, etc. and it really messed with my supply, so I have to take it pretty easy.  I am unhappy with my body...have lost the baby weight, but everything is just different.  I love breastfeeding but looking forward to hopefully seeing some body changes once I'm done. I know it'll never be what it once was, but I do think it can be better than it is:) 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I nursed for the first six months and around month 4 tried to get really serious about getting back in shape.  Joined Weight Watchers (I've been very successful with them in the past), got super careful about everything I was eating, started to add it exercise - the weight would not budge.  In fact, it didn't matter if I was strictly on plan or veered WAY off.  My weight literally stayed within a two pound window, and did not move, no matter what I ate or didn't eat.

Cut yourself some slack and don't fret about the pounds until you are done BFing.  About one month after we had finished, my weight started to come off normally again, with diet and exercise, at about 1.5 lbs per week.   I would just focus on that awesome gift that you are able to provide your sweet lil' peanut!  The weight will come down when you're finished.

• I didn't start losing weight until I stopped bf. weight watchers has it for bf moms. I didn't use it but I heard its great.

• I second the thyroid check. It doesn't hurt to get it checked out. The fact that you mention lack of energy and unmotivated are also symptoms of under active thyroid....BUT it's also symptoms of being a mommy! Hehe
  • Feeling tired and such was the reason I had mine checked.. I'd sleep 8-9 hours and want to sleep more (pre-baby)

You know when you have a restful nights sleep and I just wasn't having them. I take Synthroid and it makes a world of difference! 

Staying at home can hurt the diet sometimes I feel- that's why I log EVERYTHING into my fitness pal to make sure I am staying in my calorie range- 1210 at the most (on a day I don't work out)

It's hard. My friend just had a baby and is smaller than she was BEFORE she had the baby- and the baby is younger than mine-ugh lucky bit@# hahaha

just stay positive and get your thyroid checked!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"