January 2013 Moms
Options

BF breast pain

I get random breast pain while I'm not breast feeding. I just pumped a few hours ago and I'm not close to full or engorged. Sometimes it happens right after I've fed LO. It's in my breast tissue and not the nipple. Is this normal? Anything I can do for it? I hope this doesn't happen the whole time I'm breast feeding.

Jacob, 1/14/13

Re: BF breast pain

• Options
    Have you called your doctor? I'm not 100% sure but usually pain outside of initial latch [if you're having problems with that] might be caused by thrush or some other infection in he breast. The only feeling I get is a bizarre sensation when my breasts letdown. 
  • Options
    Sometimes my breasts get sore if they are not well supported. I switched from wearing tanks to a nursing bra combined with a tank, and that made a huge difference. I asked my ob and the said some soreness is common and to try hot compresses before you feed to help LO or the pump get the breast nice and empty.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagethis decaf life:
    Have you called your doctor? I'm not 100 sure but usually pain outside of initial latch [if you're having problems with that] might be caused by thrush or some other infection in he breast. The only feeling I get is a bizarre sensation when my breasts letdown.nbsp;

I haven't yet because I wanted to see if this was a normal part of breastfeeding. I will if it continues though.

I don't think it's from not getting emptied because the last time I pumped it happened and I had been pumping for 20 minutes and from the last five minutes til the end nothing came out. It just happened again I'm both breasts for about ten seconds. I wonder if it is a support issue. The girls are big and I wear a non underwire nursing bra.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options

imageMelissaRae1525:
    imagethis decaf life:
    Have you called your doctor? I'm not 100 sure but usually pain outside of initial latch [if you're having problems with that] might be caused by thrush or some other infection in he breast. The only feeling I get is a bizarre sensation when my breasts letdown.nbsp;
    I haven't yet because I wanted to see if this was a normal part of breastfeeding. I will if it continues though. I don't think it's from not getting emptied because the last time I pumped it happened and I had been pumping for 20 minutes and from the last five minutes til the end nothing came out. It just happened again I'm both breasts for about ten seconds. I wonder if it is a support issue. The girls are big and I wear a non underwire nursing bra.

I know you said it happened when you were done pumping, but could it have been a second let down?  I get random painful let downs pretty often.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have the same thing. I believe it is milk letting down.
  • Options
    imageKikiSmash12:

imageMelissaRae1525:
    imagethis decaf life:

I haven't yet because I wanted to see if this was a normal part of breastfeeding. I will if it continues though.

I don't think it's from not getting emptied because the last time I pumped it happened and I had been pumping for 20 minutes and from the last five minutes til the end nothing came out. It just happened again I'm both breasts for about ten seconds. I wonder if it is a support issue. The girls are big and I wear a non underwire nursing bra.

I know you said it happened when you were done pumping, but could it have been a second let down?  I get random painful let downs pretty often.

Maybe. I don't usually get a first let down sensation. And they definitely don't feel like anything is left in there.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options
    I just went to the doctor for this 2 days ago and they put me on meds for thrush. The pain has already improved. The np said thrush is difficult to diagnose but is usually a sharp or pins and needles type pain
  • Options
    Burp

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options
    imagembredin:
    I just went to the doctor for this 2 days ago and they put me on meds for thrush. The pain has already improved. The np said thrush is difficult to diagnose but is usually a sharp or pins and needles type pain

Crappp. Who did you go to? Primary doctor or OB?

Jacob, 1/14/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"