Trying to Get Pregnant

NTTGPR Crating your dog

Our pup is 10 months and we crate him if we are gone for more than an hour or two, since he still has some crazy puppiness. When we are at work he is crated for no more than 8 hours and my sister has always come to let him out for a pee and a bit of love midday.

I'm wondering if he is okay to be crated for the whole day now or if we should always let him out once through the work day. I don't want to be a bad puppy mom but it's sometimes not easy to get someone to come over.

Do you crate your dog while you are at work? How long is he or she crated for and how old are they?

Edit: fixed my words

Re: NTTGPR Crating your dog

• I don't crate my dog, he is 4 so pretty calm now. I just wanted to tell you that it should be fine to crate him for 8 hours. Most dogs can hold their bladder and bowels for 8 hours by the time they are 11 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Married in May 2012
    TTC since August 2012
    BFP 3.2.13 EDD 11.11.13
    My Blog
  • All my dogs, dogs I foster and dogs I pet-sit are always crated when no one is home. It depends on the dog, by 10 months, I can usually leave a dog for 8 hrs in a crate. Once (stuck behind an accident) my min schnauzer was in a crate for 14 hrs and didn't seem to mind, just really had to pee. At first, I might limit water intake close to going into the crate and see how that goes (just make sure he has plenty of access to water the rest of the time). Whenever someone can let him out for a break, it is never a bad thing, though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I crate my dog during the day when I'm not home. That's usually at least 10 hours for work. She's 8 1/2, but this has been her routine since she was about a year old. There have been times when she's been in there longer, but she's never had a problem in there. She has a bed & her food in there. She even goes in on her own. HD trained her & as soon as the bag for her crate treats is in our hands she goes straight in. She's usually a little wound up when I get home but she's fine. Honestly she sleeps all day in there & your puppy probably does too. If he can make it most of the night without any accidents, he should be good to go.

Me: IR-PCOS, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone, weak ovulation  DH: low volume, low T
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR!  
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI = CP, Cycle 17: Femara (2.5) + IUI = BFN, Cycle 18 Femara (5) + IUI = BFFN, Cycle 19: Break
    Cycle 20: Clomid (50)+ IUI = BFP EDD 6/20, transvaginal cerclage 12/19, Carson Quinn born sleeping at 16w3d on 1/6/15 due to IC
    Phone consult with Dr. Haney (Univ of Chicago) for transabdominal cercalge scheduled for 2/9/15.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
    image image imageimage 
  • My dog was crated for much longer at that age and she never had a problem.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• My dog is crated from around 7:30AM-5:15PM so almost 10 hours. He will be 3 in June. He never has a problem with it. I'd like to leave him out but as a PP said, he would terrorize the house.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • We crated our dog until he was over a year old. When I was working as a teacher, I got home by around 3 but he was alone from when we left at 7:30 to around 3 with no one coming to walk him in between. I know a lot of people that do that as well and the dogs are fine.

When I wanted to start letting him loose, I picked one room to start out with, and wouldn't leave him for long periods of time to start. He is 2 now and basically has free reign of the house and hasn't destroyed anything except for the blinds when I forgot to pull them up so he could look out the window. lol

I definitely needed him to be more mature before I trusted him outside of the crate when he was alone, so if your guy is still doing some puppy things, he might need more crate time and that is fine. It takes a while.

**Siggy/Ticker Warning**   

TTC #1 since May 2012

May 2013: First R.E. appointment

DH: SA is good

May 2013: CD3 Blood work-normal
               June 2013: Hsg-Right tube blocked

July 26, 2013: Starting Follistim for IVF #1

August 2013: IVF #1 Cancelled- Abnormal embryos

October/November 2013: IVF #2 w/ICSI

November 8, 2013: Transferred two early blasts (no frosties) 

November 18, 2013: First EVER BFP! 

Beta#1: 91  Beta#2: 288

1st U/S- 5w2d Saw yolk sac!

3rd U/S- 7w4d HB of 157bpm!

TEAM BLUE!

http://movingtolight.blogspot.com/

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• My pup is 11 months old and we've been doing all day (8 hours) crating her since she was about 5 months old.  I'm a teacher, so I was able to be with her over the summer, so luckily we didn't have to crate her right away.  At the beginning my mom was able to come over and let her out at lunch if I had a meeting after school.  Now the pup is able to go all day, even on days when I have to stay an extra hour.  The only draw back, as I'm sure you know, is she needs a good walk/play when I get home. Smile 

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

BFP 5.4.14 ~ EDD 1.12.15 ~ stick little bean!

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Fruit ~ My BFP Chart 

• We also crate our two huskies when we are gone for more than an hour or two. We don't have to do it anymore because we have someone living with us, but before that they would be crated for about 6 hours each day. They were fine - like PP said, I would often find them passed out. Even when I work from home, they sleep most of the day.

When we just had one dog, we tried letting him stay out of the crate. Usually he did fine, but once he got a tupperware container off the counter and ate some things he shouldn't have. He ended up in the hospital for two days. After that we realized that it's much safer for them to be in their crates.

******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• I recently read an article that was saying do NOT crate your dog for many hours during the day.. I wish I could find it.. It was posted on FB from a shelter than I foster puppies for.. Gating him in a specific area may be an alternative. That's what we do when we leave the house for our mastiff and toy pom. They stay in the kitchen. 
    ?TTC#1 since 04/11?CP 03/28/12?Me:Polycystic Ovaries&Endo??Him:MFI- Awaiting 2nd SA?
    ?Blog?
  • Rule of thumb that I've heard is puppies can hold it for about an hour per month of age. Yours should be fine.

To the previous poster who said not to crate, gating is only acceptable when a dog can hold bladder and bowels all day. Gating them gives too much room for the dog to per or poop on the other side of the gates area. Dogs don't want to lie in their own waste so that's why it's important to crate them in something only big enough that they can turn around in. If they can go to the other side of the crate or room then they will use the bathroom and delay house training.

Me: 32 DH: 31.
    B/W: good. SA: good.
    November 2012: Paratubal cyst found during U/S.
    January 10, 2013: Lap removed paratubal cyst and Stage 2 Endometriosis. 
    3 cycles of Femara + TI = BFNs

June 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 37.5 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFN

July 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 75 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFP!!!!

Beta 1 @ 11 DPIUI = 76. Progesterone = 27.3

BFP 8/16/2013 // EDD 4/28/2014

Jordan Samuel born April 19, 2014. 6 lb, 12 oz and 18 inches long.

CLICK ME!!!11!!1111!!

• imageEmilyChad:
    I recently read an article that was saying do NOT crate your dog for many hours during the day.. I wish I could find it.. It was posted on FB from a shelter than I foster puppies for.. Gating him in a specific area may be an alternative. That's what we do when we leave the house for our mastiff and toy pom. They stay in the kitchen.nbsp;

I've thought about gating him in a room but we are refinishing the whole house and the small bathroom is the only one that is completely finished. The living room and hallway are puppy proofed but I don't want to give him that much space for the whole day. So that's not going to work for now.

I feel much less guilty about crating him for the day now. I'm sure it's harder on me than it is on him. He has mastered the art of the puppy eyed guilt trip face but like many of you said, I'm sure he sleeps the whole day anyways. Thanks ladies!
  • imageBBer4:
    imageEmilyChad:
    I recently read an article that was saying do NOT crate your dog for many hours during the day.. I wish I could find it.. It was posted on FB from a shelter than I foster puppies for.. Gating him in a specific area may be an alternative. That's what we do when we leave the house for our mastiff and toy pom. They stay in the kitchen.nbsp;

I've thought about gating him in a room but we are refinishing the whole house and the small bathroom is the only one that is completely finished. The living room and hallway are puppy proofed but I don't want to give him that much space for the whole day. So that's not going to work for now.

I feel much less guilty about crating him for the day now. I'm sure it's harder on me than it is on him. He has mastered the art of the puppy eyed guilt trip face but like many of you said, I'm sure he sleeps the whole day anyways. Thanks ladies!

Don't feel bad. Those puppy eyes are brutal but crating is the best thing for him. In a gates area an non house trained dog will pee in one area and lay in the other end. I promise you that he sleeps during the day and is fine in his crate. If he was out of the crate and got into something or tears up something he could get hurt or sick from it. The crate is the safest thing for him and safest place for your house as well.

Me: 32 DH: 31.
    B/W: good. SA: good.
    November 2012: Paratubal cyst found during U/S.
    January 10, 2013: Lap removed paratubal cyst and Stage 2 Endometriosis. 
    3 cycles of Femara + TI = BFNs

June 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 37.5 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFN

July 2013: Femara 2.5 mg, Gonal F Injects 75 IU, Menopur, trigger + IUI = BFP!!!!

Beta 1 @ 11 DPIUI = 76. Progesterone = 27.3

BFP 8/16/2013 // EDD 4/28/2014

Jordan Samuel born April 19, 2014. 6 lb, 12 oz and 18 inches long.

CLICK ME!!!11!!1111!!

• imagetalon1226:
    My youngest dog is crated for almost 8 hours a day. She turned 1 a few months ago but she's been ok in a crate for that long since she was about 6 months old.

Can your dog sleep for 8 hours at night without needing to get up and pee? That's one way to get an idea of how long they can go without needing to be let out since he is probably asleep most of the time he's crated.

He hasn't had to go out in the middle of the night since he was about 10 or 11 weeks and has never had an accident in his crate. He is also uncrated at night and still hasn't had to pee until I get up usually he won't even go until he eats breakfast so you ladies are right, he will be fine.
  • I rescued my dog at 8 months and we are away for 8 hours a day. For the first month or so I would come home and take him out during the day, but he was never rushing to go pee so I stopped coming home around 9 months. 

We stopped crating him and leaving him gated in the kitchen after he was a year, and somewhere a few months after that we just leave him out. We've never had any accidents. (knock on wood) 

• We started crating our pup at 4 months old. She can jump our 6 foot fence so she has to be crated. Now 2 years old and she remains crated during the day for about 8 hours. Dogs are "den" animals so most actually love their crate(as long as a crate isn't used for punishment) 
  • My dogs are crated while we are working or gone also. We let them out right before we leave and as soon as we get home, if we're gone more than our normal work day we have someonelet them out
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since May 2011-Me 26 DH 24
    BFP 7.01.2011 c/p @ 4wks3.2012 Metformin 500mg for irregular cycles
  • We do not crate. We got our dog from another family when he was 5 months old (4 y/o now). They crated and appear to have done so inappropriately (leaving him for too long, using as a punishment etc.). We tried crating when we took him home and his anxiety was unbelievable (shrieking, panting, panicking). A couple days of trying this and we just couldn't do it to him and let him cruise around the house. He is a very good boy and has never chewed or destroyed anything. He does get absurd amounts of exercise morning and afternoon though, so he's a tired guy.

The dog I grew up with loved her crate. We didn't even have to shut the door, she would just head in there when we left for work/school and chill until we returned home.  

• imagemrsashleyk:

I was lucky with my first dog. We got him at 8 weeks old (way too young to be crated all day) but it was summer time so I crated him from 8-12. I would pick up my little sister on my lunch break and she would watch him until I got off of work for 20 bucks a week. We didn't get our yard fenced in until a couple months ago so I would just baby our kitchen so he would have a little bit of space to roam, but also left his crate door open so he could nap in there if he wanted.

That privilege was taken away when I came home one day to a hole in the floor and two holes in the wall! Now they are outside all day unless it's raining and then we crate them. I feel bad crating them for so long so I make sure to take them on an extra long walk that night.

so you're one of those people that leaves their dogs out everyday to possibly terrorize the neighbors?  That's cool.

I hate it when people leave their dogs outside everyday. Hate it.  You know why?  We have a neighbor across the street and a few houses down who does this.  Those dogs bark all.day.long. Before you say that your dogs don't, let me say that you probably don't know for sure. Be a responsible dog owner. Don't leave your dogs out all day, especially in a neighborhood situation where you're impacting your neighbors.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"