Breastfeeding

Insurance Breastpump

Hi Ladies!

I know it's early in my pregnancy but I am a planner so I have already asked my insurance company if they offer a pump.

They do! The only information she had was that it was a Medela Double Electric, but she was mailing me a packet including instructs on how to order it. Those of you that have received a free Medela pump which one was it?

Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7

Re: Insurance Breastpump

• From what I understand the Medela double electric is the same motor as the pump in style, but with a tan bag instead of black.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• imageLadiebug710:
    From what I understand the Medela double electric is the same motor as the pump in style, but with a tan bag instead of black.

This is what I have heard as well.

• Loading the player...
  • The Medela Personal Double electric is not the same as the Advanced Personal Double electric. I have the Personal Double, which does NOT have the let-down button and has 3 suction settings. It sounds like the Advanced Personal Double is the one that has the same motor as the PISA.

The naming is confusing, IMO, and even the Medela rep I spoke to didn't have much information about the Personal Double. She thought I was talking about the Advanced Personal Double and was surprised when I told her there was no let-down button, so it may be that the Advanced model is more common.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks ladies. I am hoping to get the flyer soon so I at least know which one it is.

I actually already have a Medela PISA that my mom purchased for me a few weeks ago when they were on sale at Target. With the sale, extra discounts, we got it brand new for $170. If this free one from the insurance company is not a great pump I should keep the one that my mom got right?

I was thinking of returning it? But I will be working FT after 6-8 weeks so I really need a good pump that is going to last. Anyone have any thoughts/advice on this?

Breastfeeding is something that is so important to me, while I know its still really early in my pregnancy I really am trying to make sure I am going into this with what I need to succeed.

Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
    Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7
  • I would wait until you get the info from the insurance company.  It will probably have a model number or other info you can look up online.  Then you can get accurate opinions from other moms.  My hunch is that it is a good pump, though.  Medela is a solid brand name with a lot of great reviews, so I'd be surprised if a double electric of theirs wasn't good.

Whatever you do, do not open the Medela you bought!  Once you do, it's yours.  Also look over Target's return policy.  I think you have to return it within 90 days, but I'm not sure.

This is just my personal opinion, but I think it may be a little early for breastpump shopping.  I'm a planner myself and like to get things out of the way, but with a breastpump I would wait.  I would get it closer to when you have the baby because some of them only offer a year's warranty from the time you receive it.  That means that if you get it now, by the time you go back to work you'll be close to the end of the warranty.  Something you may want to look into.  Plus, as more insurance companies are required to comply with the new health care laws (they don't have to until their contracts renew, so more will be coming into the game), different styles of pumps may be offered that you may like better.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"