Breastfeeding
Options

Pumping at work ?s

I'm getting ready to go back to work in two weeks and this time I'm planning to pump at work (didn't do this with DS).

I have a double electric pump, a private office where I can pump and access to a refrigerator to keep the milk.  What I'm wondering is:

-How often should I pump?

-Do you clean the pump between each use?  Rinse if off?  Or ??

-Do you keep the milk in a cooler with an ice pack to transport?

Thanks ladies! 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping at work ?s

• Options

I pumped with DD1 and plan on pumping with DD2. You can pump every 3 hours (or however many times your LO eats for the time you're away), if that is allowed at your job. I was only able to pump during my lunch hour, so that made things a little difficult.

Yes. You don't have to clean the actual pump, if that is what you're asking, but definitely the parts. There are breast pump wipes by medela that you can use to clean off the parts or you can wash them in warm water and soap. I prefer the wipes and feel I could wash them better at home later.

Yes. You should keep the milk in some kind of cooler or in a refrigerator and store it until you leave. I personally think a little bag with an ice pack to keep it cold would be better, because it is easier to forget something in the fridge when you are rushing to get out of work for the day. GL.

• Options

I pump twice a day at work (11am & 3pm). Three times would be good too, I just honestly don't want to pump that much and I get enough in 2 sessions to feed LO at daycare the next day.

I don't rinse or clean my pump pumps between uses during the day. I put the parts in a zip-loc and stick them in the fridge. I wash it in the evening after work.

I have an ice-pack, but it's not really necessary if you have a fridge and go home right after work, milk is fine for a few hours at room temperature. Since I do have an ice-pack, after my 3pm pumping session I just leave the milk in my cooler on my desk instead of the fridge.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How often should I pump?
    I pump every 3 hours, its important to keep as close to your babies feeding schedule as possible.
    Do you clean the pump between each use? Rinse if off? Or ??
    I have a Freestyle and I have 3 setups. I keep them in these https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=searchalias3Dapsfieldkeywords=itzyritzysnackbags one set, 2 setups fit perfectly in one bag. Each night I clean them wipe out the bag and repack them. I personally think it is disgusting to use dirty parts, but a lot of people do.
    Do you keep the milk in a cooler with an ice pack to transport?
    I use the bag and ice pack that came with the pump. It works wonderfully.
    Here is a picture of how my bag is set up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I started out pumping 3 times a day but after a month, I dropped back to 2 times per day. I had an oversupply and this helped to control it.

I do not clean pump parts between each use. I put them in a ziplock and put them in the mini fridge in our nursing room.

I put the milk in the fridge during the day and then into my black medela cooler bag for the ride home. My milk is only there for about 45 minutes before I am home. I do not use the ice pack unless I'm not going striaght home after work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have to start figuring all this out too...

If you can, pump every 3-4 hours, or as often as LO eats.

When I pumped with DD1, I didn't rinse or clean the parts while at work.  I would put them in the cooler with my milk.  Then I washed them when I got home.

My pump (Medela) came with a small 4 bottle cooler and ice pack.  It was perfect!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"