Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

After Birth (kinda tmi)

I just had my first baby vaginally on the 15th of this month. I am still bleeding, I have heard that it can be 2 weeks or more. I also have heard that after a week you shouldnt be  bleeding bright red. I do get cramps there every so often that have a sharp pain to them. I have heard that if your bleeding red, and cramping that you could be hemorrhaging. I have not had the cramping until a week after birth. So what is true, and should I be calling the doctor?

Re: After Birth (kinda tmi)

• Options

It doesn't sound like your care provider prepared you very well about what to expect/look for postpartum so you should probably call to clarify things with them. 

FWIW, it's completely normal to bleed for weeks.  I wouldn't worry unless you're soaking through a pad an hour or you're passing big clots (like larger than a golf ball).

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    If you are worried calling never hurt anyone.
    That being said today is three weeks and I'm still bleeding. There is still plenty of bright red just not nearly as much (I'm down to panty liners if that helps) I was told You could bleed clear up to your 6 week pp check up but it was more likely going to be a few weeks not 6. The cramping I was told was normal too- just the uterus contracting itself back down to its original pear size which could take a little while considering it held that LO!) and feels like menstrual cramps. If it's very bad then I guess that could be odd but cramps are still normal too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am almost 4 weeks PP and still have bright red bleeding. I'm not worried about it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I bled bright red for 5 weeks, then kept on bleeding for 3 more weeks. My bleeding would be heavier and redder the more active I was. The cramping is most likely your uterus continuing to contract down to its original size.
  • Options
    yeah my doc. didnt tell me much of anything of what to expect... I guess he assumes but at the same time I live in a very big county and there is only 4 OBGYN's to deliver all of the babies, and provide care for all of the women! from one end of the county to the other its about 45 min drive down I64. if that tells you slightly how big the county is!!! Thank you, that helps! I though it was normal but read it wasnt, then I was worried. :)
  • Options
    It's normal to bleed for 4+ weeks after birth. I had a vaginal delivery and bled (like a period) for about 2 1/2-3 weeks. Then spotted for about 2 more weeks. As long as you aren't passing clots bigger than a golf ball, it sounds normal. Cramping is normal. Like with anything, if you are concerned you can always call your doc to confirm.
  • Options
    I'm still bleeding 7 weeks tomorrow post partum. It goes from bright red to brown depending on the day. My doctor said its fine because I don't fill a pad pretty much all day.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagemabenner1:
    My bleeding would be heavier and redder the more active I was.

My midwife told me that this ^ is how to tell if I was doing too much. It your bleeding gets heavier (than normal) your body is telling you to take it a bit easier.

I bled for 4-5 Weeks.  Like someone else said, soaking through a pad an hour, or golf ball size clots are when you should be concerned.

• Options
    I was still spotting at 6 wks pp. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You also could just be doing too much on your feet. What has your activity been like? I've always heard that if your bleeding picks up, you're doing too much.  But, you're not that far past giving birth and regular bleeding is still normal.
  • Options
    I just stopped bleeding a couple days ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"