December 2012 Moms

Sleep vs Food

I know the general rule is if you're concerned, call the pedi..but I'm not really concerned so much as curious. My LO has been a voracious eater from day 1 (they gave her a 2oz bottle shortly after birth and said she'd only eat 1oz..she drank the whole thing) and usually takes 4oz every 3-4 hrs except for her last feeding of the night when she takes 6oz. However, the last couple of days it seems like when we try to feed her, she falls asleep while eating (even if she just had a nap) and doesn't seem interested in finishing (its usually towards the end of her bottle and I can manage to wake her up enough to finish). The other night, she feel asleep at the end of her night-time bottle and wouldn't even wake up to burp (although she did wake up a little later when we changed her diaper and swaddled her before bed). This morning she kept falling asleep through her bottle but she finally finished it and then went to sleep in the car ride to my sister's house (normal).. but then she had no interest in waking up when we got there and went back to sleep for an hour or so (not her usual- she usually wakes up as soon as the car stops and is ready to play). Is this signs of a growth spurt or am I being too laid back and this is something I SHOULD be concerned about?

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

Re: Sleep vs Food

• Growth spurt. I wouldn't worry unless you stop seeing wet diapers, she starts spiking a fever or it lasts for more than a few days. Of course if you are worried just call the doc, that's what they are there for.
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    image image image
  • We're going through the same thing. LO hasn't been much of a napper, but she wants to cat nap all the time these days. The other night, she got up at 6:30 and wanted to go down for the night at 8. We have her two month appt tomorrow anyway, but I've been going on the assumption that it's a growth spirt.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • My daughter is two months old today and she has been extra sleepy and more difficult to feed since yesterday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• I vote growth spurt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• She may just be changing her eating habits a little. Like others said; unless she seems sick and you still have the minimum wet diapers I wouldn't worry.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • imageperfectlove09:
    She may just be changing her eating habits a little. Like others said; unless she seems sick and you still have the minimum wet diapers I wouldn't worry.

I've also read that bottle fed babies are weighed on a different chart bc parents/ caretakers tend to think the baby needs to finish the bottle. If she's done and there's still milk left I wouldn't force it.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • Thanks for the reassurance, ladies! I was pretty sure it was a growth spurt but being a FTM, sometimes it's nice to have a little back-up.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"