Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Teething and Tylenol..advice needed

Hello.  My LO just turned 9 months. He got his 2 bottom teeth around 6-7 months. The last 3 weeks he has been crying a lot at night so 1.5 weeks ago I brought him in to the ped thinking he might have an ear infectino and she said his top teeth would come in any day and to give him tylenol at night.  For 1.5 weeks straight I have given him one dose of tylenol every night before bedtime.  I haven't needed to any other time of day.  One top tooth came in yesterday so I tried a night off of tylenol and he was up crying on and off from 9-2.  The days before that he had tylenol he slept all night.  I am not sure when the other top tooth will come in so don't know if I should continue on the night time tylenol.  He has had it almost 2 weeks straight every night. When do I stop?  The doctor just said "give it as needed" and nothign else.  Any advice? I don't want to give it to him too frequently, but don't want him up all night either.

Re: Teething and Tylenol..advice needed

• I know it seems like you are drugging your child all the time when they are teething but I do it.  I sometimes will give it to him several nights in a row like you have and then stop to see how it plays out and then we will end up going a few weeks with no meds.  As soon as I start noticing him getting fussy and I can see the teeth coming I start with the advil again.  Personally I think advil works better then tylenol since it is an anti-inflamatory.  If it gets really bad you can alternate tylenol/advil.  When my son got his tubes they told us this at the hospital so when the teething gets really severe or he has had a bad cold I alternate them every 4 hours.  I do this for a day or two and it seems to nip it in the bud and he sleeps much better.  Which in turn, I think, helps him recover quicker.  GL!
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Have you been giving it before bed, as in, before he wakes up crying?  I'd probably hold off giving it until he actually wakes up in pain because otherwise you just don't know if that one night was a fluke or what and you kind of will never know if you keep giving it before he shows signs of needing it.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageelmoali:
    Have you been giving it before bed, as in, before he wakes up crying?  I'd probably hold off giving it until he actually wakes up in pain because otherwise you just don't know if that one night was a fluke or what and you kind of will never know if you keep giving it before he shows signs of needing it.
    This exactly. We have given multiple nights in a row, but we wait til our lo wakes up in pain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have given multiple nights in a row due to teething but think the same, am I giving him too much.  On the back it says don't go more than a week I believe but I guess you can try giving it to him when he does wake up although if that is every night that doesn't solve the problem.
  • imagecltk12:
    imageelmoali:
    Have you been giving it before bed, as in, before he wakes up crying?  I'd probably hold off giving it until he actually wakes up in pain because otherwise you just don't know if that one night was a fluke or what and you kind of will never know if you keep giving it before he shows signs of needing it.
    This exactly. We have given multiple nights in a row, but we wait til our lo wakes up in pain.

This is what I do also.  I think some nights there's more pain and some nights there's less.  So, I just wait and see if he starts crying out.

Sparrow Fae 3/9/10 Levi Roy 6/17/12 Sparrow January 20
  • Thanks for all the advice. Who even knows when he is screaming if it is for sure the teeth or he just wants his momma. It is such a guessing game. I will try w/o and keep the tylenol handy incase he seems like he is in pain.
  • imageRedDDD:
    I know it seems like you are drugging your child all the time when they are teething but I do it.  I sometimes will give it to him several nights in a row like you have and then stop to see how it plays out and then we will end up going a few weeks with no meds.  As soon as I start noticing him getting fussy and I can see the teeth coming I start with the advil again.  Personally I think advil works better then tylenol since it is an anti-inflamatory.  If it gets really bad you can alternate tylenol/advil.  When my son got his tubes they told us this at the hospital so when the teething gets really severe or he has had a bad cold I alternate them every 4 hours.  I do this for a day or two and it seems to nip it in the bud and he sleeps much better.  Which in turn, I think, helps him recover quicker.  GL!

This.

• We also give infants Advil for teething. I can always tell at dinner time if he's going to need a dose before bed cause he has trouble chewing and eating when his mouth hurts which makes him super fussy. As long as you're careful to follow all dosage instructions, I do t think it can hurt them if you're giving it frequently while its needed.

• Try switching up with baby advil. If you are okay with homeopathic remedies try teething tablets to help ease pain and fussing.

Also, I switch up between advil and tylenol every other night. Teething tablets I give throughout the day as needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"