High-Risk Pregnancy

preeclampsia false alarm

So yesterday was... interesting.  My original plan was to take DS out for a stroller walk. Well my body had other plans. Around 10:30A while in the shower, I started feeling very dizzy, had to hold on to the walls. Then I started seeing stars. Since I already have HBP, I took my BP, 163/100... which made me think the worst, preeclampsia. So I went down my call list, first DH, then mom and MIL (needed someone to keep an eye on DS). Then I started feeling numbness in my fingers. So I sat down and kept drinking water and recording my BP every 5 minutes until my ride and babysitter got here. Cut to sitting in Triage hooked up to the NST and BP machines. Thankfully at this point my blurred vision was corrected and I could feel my fingers again, and the nurse keeping an eye on me said that my arms and ankles did not feel or look swollen. And urine sample did not contain protein aka a VERY good sign that this wasn't Pre-E. Two hours later and the on call OB has paid me a visit. Who knew that a lot of the same signs for Pre-E are also pregnancy third trimester signs, just the difference is the signs should not last longer than 20 minutes tops, and for Pre-E there would be protein in the urine. PHEW! Thought I'd share this info with everyone else.
IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: preeclampsia false alarm

• I find it highly confusing/annoying that all the 'normal' pregnancy symtpoms are also symptoms of pregnancy 'problems'!

It is so confusing.  I had pre-term labor contractions for a full week before I mentioned it to my docotor.  I thought it was BH and was normal.  They were not happy with me and after a ton of tests and steroid shots I ended up on bed rest for them.

While on bed rest I have spent many days trying to figure out if the new things are normal or not.  I get the weird vision thing in certain positions (but blood pressure is a healthy low) and feel like I am going to suffocate in certain positions (just a big baby they say) and on and on the list goes.

So, so confusing!! It would be so nice if the real problems sent off a firework or something when you needed to go in and be checked out so we can ignore the rest!!

Hope you feel better today!

• image=Lee=B:

I find it highly confusing/annoying that all the 'normal' pregnancy symtpoms are also symptoms of pregnancy 'problems'!

It is so confusing.  I had pre-term labor contractions for a full week before I mentioned it to my docotor.  I thought it was BH and was normal.  They were not happy with me and after a ton of tests and steroid shots I ended up on bed rest for them.

While on bed rest I have spent many days trying to figure out if the new things are normal or not.  I get the weird vision thing in certain positions (but blood pressure is a healthy low) and feel like I am going to suffocate in certain positions (just a big baby they say) and on and on the list goes.

So, so confusing!! It would be so nice if the real problems sent off a firework or something when you needed to go in and be checked out so we can ignore the rest!!

Hope you feel better today!

Yeah I know what you mean, I should mentioned that it was just the on call OB who told me that it can be mistaken as Pre-E, BUT my regular assigned OB (who wasn't there at the time) stressed that false pregnancy symptoms or not, it is always best to get checked. It is better to be safe than sorry.

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"