Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

18 months, zero teeth

Does/did anyone else's LO have ZERO teeth at 18 months?

And this might sound rude, but I really only want to hear stories about 18 months and older. If I had been concerned at 14/15/16 months, I would have asked at that point Wink Or if you happen to be a dentist, please chime in.

My other reason for really only wanting to know about 18 mos and up is that 18 months is generally the cut-off that I've seen.

DS's 18 month check up is on Friday, and I really would like to know what other people were told at 18 months. I did an internet search a couple of weeks ago trying to find info on extremely late teething, but I didn't find much (or anything). So apparently no teeth at this age is pretty rare unless there is some abnormality (like hypothyroidism, which he doesn't have).

Also - DH and I both cut our first tooth at 13 months, so late-teething runs in our family. I'm 99% sure that I see/feel teeth under his gums.The doc wasn't concerned at his 15 mo appointment, but that was the only time we ever saw her, and we've moved since then.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 18 months, zero teeth

• According to my mom I didn't get teeth till around 18 months. Family lore has it that I was speaking full sentences by that point without any teeth.  Given that they love to tell of me running around screaming "no teef! no teef!" I'm assuming the sentences weren't very complex.

I joke that late teething is obviously a sign of intelligence.

PS - I also was a late adult teeth getter too.  I think I got my 12 year molars when I was in high school!

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Similar to the PP, I didn't get teeth until 19 or 20 months. My mom took me to the dentist because she wanted to confirm that I was actually going to get teeth. I also lost my baby teeth super late. I remember the orthodontist pulling my eye teeth in 7th or 8th grade so that he could put my braces on. 

Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • i actually just read that if their getting teeth lates, it could be due to poor nutrition. also, if their parents got their teeth late.

my child just turned 12 months this week, she had 10 teeth, including 2 molars and another moler coming in.

• imageblu-eyedwife:

According to my mom I didn't get teeth till around 18 months. Family lore has it that I was speaking full sentences by that point without any teeth.  Given that they love to tell of me running around screaming "no teef! no teef!" I'm assuming the sentences weren't very complex.

I joke that late teething is obviously a sign of intelligence.

PS - I also was a late adult teeth getter too.  I think I got my 12 year molars when I was in high school!

That's really funny about your talking - I was just wondering the other day how finally getting teeth will affect DS's speech. No full sentences, but so many words!

imageally510:

Similar to the PP, I didn't get teeth until 19 or 20 months. My mom took me to the dentist because she wanted to confirm that I was actually going to get teeth. I also lost my baby teeth super late. I remember the orthodontist pulling my eye teeth in 7th or 8th grade so that he could put my braces on.

Good luck!

Thank you to both of you for responding -- DH and I were late teethers (I lost my last tooth in 8th grade), but DS has just gone so far beyond what I expected, and it makes me nervous about whether the doctor (or a dentist) might suggest cutting his gums or something.

• My sister was 18ish months when she cut her first tooth. She had issues with cavities but that was said to be due to the numerous times she was on antibiotics for ear infections. She also had to have mild speech therapy in early elementary school but I don't know that it had anything to do with her late teething.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"