1st Trimester
Options

Advice needed... touchy situation

This is our third baby in three years, and 4th pregnancy in 3 years (we lost our first).  This is our second unexpected pregnancy.  Anyway, my sister just found out she is pregnant after ttc for over a year and after having fertility issues.  Obviously I am SUPER excited for her!  I have not told anyone I am pregnant yet, and I guess I am wondering what the best way to go about this is.  I don't want to steal her spotlight.  And yet, our baby is to be celebrated too.  I was just going to tell our family one by one and start with my sister that is pregnant.  I wasn't going to make an "announcement" to the family because of the situation.  What would you suggest?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice needed... touchy situation

• Options
    I agree. It is still very early.  Give the family a couple weeks to celebrate that your sister is finally pregnant. Then make sure to spread your good news.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • Options
    I also think you should give her a couple weeks to celebrate. Wait until she tells everyone about her exciting news, and then let her know about yours before spreading it. I cant speak for her but I know I would be SO excited if my sister was doing this with me, with the exception that I got to be "first" if only by a few weeks :)
    Married since 06-9-11 Me: 29 Hubby: 28 2/14 BFP 1st baby The paper towels on the counter weren't for me?! My hubby and my puppy Pregnancy Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think starting with your sister is a great idea.  Having that conversation with her will also give you a better read as to how to let the rest of the family know.  Whether you give her a couple of weeks to herself, or she's so excited that you will both be pregnant at the same time that she is ready for you to tell everyone!

Congrats!  I would love for one of my sisters to be pregnant at the same time.

BabyFruit Ticker

danielparkerbell.tumblr.com
  • Options
    i agree with some of the pp's...I would wait a few weeks if I were you to spread the great news. Just look at it as if you are waiting until you are safely out of the first trimester to share with everyone!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I would wait a few weeks depending on how far along you are. Let her have this special time. Your baby will be just as special when it comes ; and you will have so much fun going through pregnancy and your children's lives together.
  • Options
    Since you are still very early on in your pregnancy, I would let your sister have the spotlight for a while. When you finally do tell I am sure your sister will be estatic as you two will be able to go through your pregnancies together.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I decided to tell her tonight.  We did wait a week since she told us and we are super close so I am pretty sure she would be hurt if I didn't tell her early on.  Plus, I am actually a week ahead of her in my pregnancy... so I don't want her to feel like I was hiding something from her while she told me right away.  I know her extremely well, and I feel like this is the best way to handle it.  I am not going to go blabbing my news to everyone or anything, but I do feel like I should tell her long before we tell others.... and I always show super early so I don't want others to ask before she knew for a long time and has had time to process.  I have a feeling she will be super excited to go through this together... but at the same time, I am going to be super sensitive to however she feels (and give her plenty of grace if she isn't happy at first).  She is one of my closest friends, so my heart is 100% for her!  Thanks for all of your advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am pregnant with my first right now, but my sister and I dream of being pregnant together one day in the future. This is a beautiful thing, and I'm sure your sister (especially if it's her first, cause it's a scary road to go down alone the first time, even when there are plenty of supportive non-pregnant friends/family)  will see it that way too, if it's presented to her that way. So maybe when you tell her you're pregnant, don't say it in an apologetic way...or she'll feel it's a negative thing too. You're giving her a beautiful gift, and if it's presented to her that way, hopefully she'll see it as such too. :) It's okay to share the spotlight. <3 Good luck!!! And Congrats!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
                photo 9C31AC9F05D04D93B9651C72F4FB18BCashx_zps51f4b406.gifimagephoto 9AE0565796E740CE962988DC1EFD9F27ashx_zps7852ee4b.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"