October 2011 Moms

Lunch ideas help!

Hey ladies! I need some good packed lunch ideas for DH. He is sick of eating a sandwich everyday. He works in construction, so he doesn't have access to a microwave or fridge. What can I make him other than sandwiches? I would get sick of eating the same thing over and over too, but I am at a loss here!
TIA
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Lunch ideas help!

• How picky is he with foods?  I make a lunch for DH and I every day, but my DH is pretty open to eating whatever.  I make weekly meal plans for lunch so it doesn't get old - but we have access to microwaves.  Here are some "non hot" ideas:

• Wraps -  like a sandwich, but a little different.  We do a lot of vegetarian/southwestern ones with beans, salsa, cheese, etc.  Yesterday's had black beans and mushrooms, cheddar, salsa, and lettuce.
    • Pizza (I don't know if DH heats his up, I eat mine cold)
    • Cereal and shelf-stable milk
    • Peanut butter and jelly roll ups
    • Salads.  With chicken, steak, edamame, etc. 
    • hummus with veggies

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblueyedwife:
    How picky is he with foods?nbsp; I make a lunch for DH and I every day, but my DH is pretty open to eating whatever.nbsp; I make weekly meal plans for lunch so it doesn't get old but we have access to microwaves.nbsp; Here are some "non hot" ideas:Wraps nbsp; like a sandwich, but a little different.nbsp; We do a lot of vegetarian/southwestern ones with beans, salsa, cheese, etc.nbsp; Yesterday's had black beans and mushrooms, cheddar, salsa, and lettuce.Pizza I don't know if DH heats his up, I eat mine coldCereal and shelfstable milkPeanut butter and jelly roll upsSalads.nbsp; With chicken, steak, edamame, etc.nbsp; hummus with veggiesnbsp;

He is pretty open to eating most things! He definitely likes wraps, but I always struggle on what to put in them, thanks for the ideas. He has taking pizza, but we very rarely have pizza for him to take. I would like to try more salads, but sometimes his work accommodation make it easier to eat something quick and on the go... Don't l one if he would go for that!
    You always have such great meal ideas! Have you taken cooking classes or are you just naturally good at putting stuff together?
  • Loading the player...
  • I get the "on the go" idea.  It's hard.  Last week I forgot I was going to be eating lunch in the car and packed soup and quinoa.  Luckily I also stuck in a granola bar, so I ate the granola bar for lunch!  I do like wraps for that reason - and you can always put a salad in a wrap.

Some other wrap ideas:

*hummus, spinach, quinoa, tomatoes (this is one of LBB's favorites)

*chicken caesar salad (this is one of my favorites)

* pesto, mozzarella, tomato sauce

* ranch dressing, chicken, buffalo wing sauce, blue cheese crumbles

* apple slices, feta, lettuce, and some kind of dressing

* yogurt sauce, falafel, cucumbers

- and I don't know that I have "such great meal ideas," I just have a lot of them since I've been doing it for so long.  I've been packing my lunch and making dinner every night for about 10 years!

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd probably just try to pack some more leftovers from dinner.  Lots of things are still good cold - pulled pork sandwiches, quesidillas, pasta with pesto, calzones.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can invest in a thermos. At his last job SO didn't have access to a microwave, so I bought a thermos so he could bring leftovers soup, pasta, etc..

ETA: pasta or grain salads are also good for packed lunches.
  • imagekellybug80:
    You can invest in a thermos. At his last job SO didn't have access to a microwave, so I bought a thermos so he could bring leftovers soup, pasta, etc..

ETA: pasta or grain salads are also good for packed lunches.

We were thinking a thermos is a good idea! Then he can have some hot lunches too.
    I bought a whole bunch of stuff on my way home from work to experiment with!
    Thanks for all the ideas ladies!
  • I second the thermos. For wraps I sometimes stick Tyson's buffalo chicken fingers and lettuce with blue cheese crumbles and a little bit of ranch, I buy lunch meat that comes with a variety of meats in one package like Italian cold cut or ham and turkey, spinach with mushrooms onions and sweet peppers, egg and cheese, shrimp. Pasta salad is easy and you can put a variety of things on it like cubed cheese, meat, chopped peppers whatever YH likes. Old El Paso sells shelf stable burrito fillings you could throw that on a salad or a tortilla.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"