Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Regretting D&E - Wishing I had held my babies...

We were pregnant with MoMo twins (Monoamniotic-Monochorionic).  This is rare and very high risk - we knew that.  But that didn't help us as we lost one baby at 15 weeks and the second at 16 weeks.  I didn't experience any symptoms other than severe nausea the week before losing the second baby (but the doctor said this was unrelated). 

After we lost the babies, we chose to have a D&E because my husband was very concerned that it would be too much for me to handle to deliver and it wouldn't change the outcome obviously...  We also thought it might be very haunting and traumatic to meet our babies in that way...  We wanted our first labor and delivery to be happy and we thought this would change that experience should we be so lucky to have a baby in the future.

After the D&E, a week and a half ago now, we didn't find out the sex - thought that would make it harder to say goodbye. 

Now I am regretting my decision so much.  I feel like such a coward - they deserved to be held and I deserved to meet my babies.  That was my only chance - I wish I had made a different decision.  I'm having a hard time knowing I can't have that moment back.

Now that I'm not pregnant anymore, I can have all the caffeine I want and sushi and everything else - and I don't want it.  I just wish I was still pregnant.  This is the hardest thing I've ever experienced, even harder than losing my Mom.  I can't imagine everything ever returning to normal again...ever.  I just feel so broken.

married my best friend 10/04/08, TTC since July 2012
BFP#1 Thanksgiving 11/22/12, mo-mo twins(one sac), traditional EDD 7/27/13, EDD due to risk 6/15/13
mmc Angel 2/7/13 @ 15w3d, mmc Aubrey 2/13/13 @ 16w2d, D&E 2/16/13

BFP#2 9/21/13, EDD 6/2/14, DD born 5/17/14 

imageimage image

All AL always welcome in my threads!

Re: Regretting D&E - Wishing I had held my babies...

• I'm so very sorry for your loss.  My situation is so different than yours and I can't imagine how hard it was to make the decision you did, but I strongly believe that you made the best decision you could under the circumstances and I hope that you will find peace with it someday.  Time does help, it won't erase the pain but it will eventually wear down the rough edges.  Please take care of yourself, and I hope you find the support you need here and elsewhere (counselling or otherwise) if needed.  ((hugs))

imageimage

Married August 2012. Me: 41  DH: 42 
    Daughter from previous marriage: 20

BFP 12/19/12: Ectopic discovered at 8 weeks, right tube removed 01/18/13
    June 2013 Testing Results: Progesterone: 31.7, LH: 5, FSH: 5, Estradiol: 161
    Clomid cycles Nov. 2013 and Jan, Feb, and March 2014

TTC journey over as of the end of October 2014

TTCAL BLOG

All ALers welcome!

• I so understand what you are going through. I have a DnC on Friday was 111/2 weeks. No heartbeat.
    I feel empty I also can have caffeine ect but don't want to eat but eat just because.
    We did however have the tissue tested. I am hoping to have a little more closure with maybe knowing what happen but the testing might come back normal.
    Just know we are experiencing the same thing in different ways but I am here for you. Your not going through this alone.

Me (40) DH (42).......Married 7/1/11......TTC 12/2013.......BFP #1 12/30/12........EDD 9/8/13
    Spotting,clot 2/15/13 all ok......2/21/13 no heartbeat 11 w 4 d missed miscarriage........2/22/13 DnC :(
    BFP # 2 10.10.13...........EDD 6.19.14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry for your losses. Please try not to be too hard on yourself- you and your DH made the best decision that you could for yourself at that time. There was no way of knowing how you would later feel. I'm sure that it doesn't help much to hear those things but I would say to just try to make peace with the decision that you made- It's hard to live with regret. I'm so sorry you're also dealing with these feelings too in addition to your grief. ((hugs))

My Ovulation Chart

BFP #1 3.16.12. mmc 5.7.12 at 11 weeks ~Avery Cameron~

BFP #2 12.12.12. mmc 1.22.13 at 10 weeks ~Theodore Michael~

D&C #2 Chromosome analysis results: Translocation Trisomy 14

My RPL Testing: Homozygous MTHFR, normal karyotype

DH's karyotype results: Robertsonian Translocation 13:14

BFP #3 9.10.13 mc at 4 weeks~Our little May Flower~ 

BFP #4 10.13.13- Our Rainbow Baby, a little girl, arrived June 25, 2014! 

• I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet babies.

Your loss seems like it was very recent and still very fresh.  Please be gentle with yourself...a lot of the feelings you are having are so natural for anyone to have that is going thru the hell you are in the middle of.

We also did not get to hold our little girl, and though there are times i regret it, I am also thankful that the picture I have of her in my mind is the cute, kicking, precious baby on my US.  I also do not think I could have emotionally handled delivering her...it would have been a really hard thing to do.  None of those things mean that you didn't love your babies with all of your heart...and you have to know that your babies know that.

I know right now you are feeling lost and very hopeless...like the world has just stopped.  I remember thinkign I could never leave my house again...but slowly you get the strength to start doing things again...I am 3 months out and though the bad days still come, and I still think about my baby girl for the majority of everyday, life has gotten hopeful again and life has slowly returned to a new normal.

Give yourself time and let yourself grieve...you just went through something very devastating.  I made my daughter a babybook with all of her US pictures and cards we got after our loss.  I look at it when I am missing her...I have also found that seeing a counselor has been very helpful.

((HUGS))

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

8/12-Suprise BFP- Sweet Bunny Born Sleeping 11/21/12 (19 weeks)

-5/7/13- MMC (8 Weeks)

11/6/13- BO discovered at 7 weeks- natural MC 11/25/13

8/14- Surpise IF dx...low AMH (.24)- moving on to IVF

IVF #1- 11/14- 6R5M4F=2 perfect frosties

12/19/14- FET of 2 embabies = BFP!!!  One Little Bean EDD: 9/3/15

Everyone Welcome.

• imagemarylaurena:
    I am also thankful that the picture I have of her in my mind is the cute, kicking, precious baby on my US.  I also do not think I could have emotionally handled delivering her...it would have been a really hard thing to do.  None of those things mean that you didn't love your babies with all of your heart...and you have to know that your babies know that.

See - I think this is the best way to think about it.  Remember them as perfect, like they were before they passed.  You held them inside you for move than 3 months - remember that part, not the few hours you missed by doing the D&E.

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

• I am so sorry for the loss of your twins. I cant compare my experience but I do know that as hard as these decisions are that we have to make- at that time you did it for a reason and you did it because thats what you felt was best. You are not a coward, you are a woman and a mother who is hurting. Dont be so hard on yourself. Maybe find another way that is special to you to memorialize them. I think youre right when you say you'll never return to normal... I dont think I ever did after my first loss... but I found a new normal.  It is so soon and you are still grieving... give yourself the time and whatever it is you need to get through this. ((hugs)). 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • I'm so sorry honey. It sounds like we had our dne's around the same time. Info in siggy I miss my baby so much it hurts. There hasn't been a day since we found out that I haven't cried.

Allow yourself to feel your feelings. Cry when you feel it. Be angry when you are feeling angry.

Like others have said, you made the best decision you could at the time. I don't think I could have delivered my baby and held it... Remembering your baby from the u/s is a good memory. That's what I think back to

I have started counseling and am going to a support group next week. These might be things to consider to process everything. Cuz I know personally, I'm not coping well.

Hugs to you.
    Anniversary
    My Blog!
    TTC #1 since 11/1/2011
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    DX: Hypothyroidism (2004) & Possible PCOS (2/2012)
    CD3 b/w: Elevated LH:FSH ratio HSG: All clear! Y-shaped Uterus; SA: Normal
    Round 1 of Clomid (50mg) 8/28-9/1: BFP!
    BFP #1: 9/23/12 Edd: 6/4/2013. M/C 9/28/12 @ 4w4d
    Round 2 of Clomid (100mg) 10/3-10/7: BFP!
    BFP #2: 11/3/12 Edd: 7/16/2013. mmc discovered at 18w2d (our baby girl stopped developing at 15w3d due to Down's Syndrome). d&e 2/15/13
    3/28/13: "quite a few" uterine polyps and scar tissue discovered.
    Hysteroscopy (4/16/13): Polyps, Scar Tissue removed. Septate confirmed & removed.
    Appt with new RE 5/30/13
    Surprise BFP (with no treatment!) 6/30/13
    Our perfect little boy was born 3/11/14 - 9lbs 2oz, 21 1/4"

• I am so incredibly sorry for your loss ((HUGS))

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"