February 2012 Moms

Mommy fail - and a vent

I had Will's 1 year appointment in my calender for this morning at 10:30am, so took the morning off work, and had everything all set. I woke up last night around 2am realizing I never got a confirmation call from the dr. office (they normally do two, one from a real person and the other from a computer). So I called when they opened, and it turns out his appointment isn't until March 26th! Sigh...so I scrambled to get ready for work and get him to daycare. I figure I could have stayed home all morning with him, but this is my busy time, so I need to be in the office unless there is a legitimate reason to not be.

Now for the vent - I called to set up his appointment in January, and they couldn't get me in until the end of March! Does that seem like a long wait? He's been seen in this practice since birth...it's not like we're a new patient. What do you all think?

Re: Mommy fail - and a vent

• That's a pretty long time.  We usually have to call about two weeks in advance to get the date we want.  There are about 5 doctors in our Pedi's practice, but we always see our main doctor and the others are available if Skyler is sick or I need to call after hours.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • That's how it is at our pediatrician too.... and it's really frustrating. They are really good about getting him in for sick appts though, so I deal with it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That seems like a long time to me.  I always make the next appointment when I leave.  Something about the shot schedule, they want to see him as close to the "literal 'birth date'" as possible.  Ian turned 1 on February 13th, his 1 year check up was the 18th.  He'll be 15mo on May 13th, his 15mo check up is on the 16th.  It's been this way from the start.  And at his 1 yr check up, the line was kind of long and he was fussy, so I just left and said I'd call to schedule the appointment.  Well, I forgot until a few days ago.  I was still able to get an appointment 'on schedule'.  And he sees 'his' doctor every time, not someone else in the practice, for his well check ups.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I wouldn't be ok with that.  If that's the case and you love this ped I'd make reminders to call away ahead time that way you are seeing him right when you want.

My Ped was mad cause we came in a day before he actually turned one. Whoops!

• imageMar5195:

Probably because some of the vaccines are not recommended (and not tested on babies) prior to 1 yr. While 364 days is very, very close to 1 DD's ped explicitly told us to schedule her 1 yr. visit for after her birthday.

• imageAurora_Borealis:
    imageMar5195:

Probably because some of the vaccines are not recommended (and not tested on babies) prior to 1 yr. While 364 days is very, very close to 1 DD's ped explicitly told us to schedule her 1 yr. visit for after her birthday.

Yes, our office never lets us come in before the actual age we are going for the check up.  The people who schedule the appts always double check the birthday.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 3 year old doesn't go for his well visit until April. He turned 3 in December! I think sometimes they just book really far in advance.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagessimon621:
    imageAurora_Borealis:
    imageMar5195:

Probably because some of the
    vaccines are not recommended (and
    not tested on babies) prior to 1 yr.
    While 364 days is very, very close to 1
    DD's ped explicitly told us to schedule
    her 1 yr. visit for after her birthday.

Yes, our office never lets us come
    in before the actual age we are going
    for the check up.  The people
    who schedule the appts always double
    check the birthday.

Thats more of an insurance requirement than a safety issue. Ds2 only goes once a year and insurance won't pay one day early.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekarleegirl:
    imagessimon621:
    imageAurora_Borealis:
    imageMar5195:

Yes, our office never lets us come in before the actual age we are going for the check up.  The people who schedule the appts always double check the birthday.

Thats more of an insurance requirement than a safety issue. Ds2 only goes once a year and insurance won't pay one day early.

At least in TX, it's also a Dept of Health regulation as well.

Our ped is very similar - it's a busy and popular practice in a big city -- I have to call at least a month in advance for a well visit.  I always just schedule her next appointment before we leave her current one.  

11 months old! #andintoeverything
  • imagemichellekay06:
    I usually set ours up at her previous appt. I figure 3 months is plenty of time to clear my own schedule to go.

This is what we do also.  I figure I can get the time we want and I don't have to try and remember later to make an appointment.

Married 03/09
    TTC #1 02/11
    BFP #1 02/24/11 EDD 10/31/11 MC 03/02/11 @ 5w2d
    BFP #2 05/30/11 EDD 02/07/12 Ava Grace born 02/01/12

TTC #2 08/14
    BFP #3 10/10/14 EDD 06/20/15 CP 10/15/14 

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"