Georgia Babies
Options

Traveling with newborn?

DH and I are contemplating traveling with our DD next weekend she will be 9 weeks old. It is our nephew's 2nd Birthday, and his daddy (dh's brother) just left for deployment. They live in FL, it's about a 7.5 hour drive or so. We are going to drive down with his parents and sister, which would make it easier to have help for the drive. Thoughts? Advice? Is it too early? 

I just hate to miss his birthday with his daddy being gone too.

Re: Traveling with newborn?

• Options
    I don't think it is too soon but I travel to FL a lot.  I went to Tallahassee when DD was 8 weeks old by myself for a weekend.  Just be prepared to a make several stops.  
    photo bigsister032_zps1fdfe81e.jpgLilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    you should be fine! we drove 17 hours with a 5 week old and two year old - and the two year old was way harder to deal with. be prepared to stop for feedings and getting out of the car seat. also pack so you can get to baby stuff easily (extra outfit for blowouts, lots of wipes) and bring any soothing music or white noise that may calm down the wee one.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took DD to Disneyworld at 8 weeks old and we flew.  So I think you'll be fine. She slept almost the whole time anyway.  Enjoy!

• Options
    you will be fine! The car ride will probably put the baby to sleep. I suggest a sunshade for the window and if you are breastfeeding, a pump easily accessible. I always tend to get engorged in a long car ride and it's nice to be able to pump if I need to. And I agree with pp, plan to stop several times.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I wish it were that easy to pump but unlikely, my father in law will be in the car.
  • Options
    Try to consolidate stops if you can. Stop once to nurse, get food for yourselves, gas, etc.   It can be hard with a newborn because you have to stop a lot more often for diapers and feedings.  On one trip we took I brought a bottle and sat in the back with him and gave him one of his feedings while we were driving.  That helped too. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"