Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Fully potty trained...except for when we're out.

DD caught on so fast with potty training. Never any accidents, only one accident over night, but she WILL NOT go to the bathroom at Walmart, restaurants, gas stations, etc. I even bring her potty seat with us when we go out. Last night we left Walmart, I got her buckled in and she said she had to go. We rushed back inside, and she said she didn't have to go, and she was scared. We get in the car after my many failed attempts to get her to go, and she peed right in her pants...

What do I do?! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fully potty trained...except for when we're out.

• Options
    poor baby girl! public bathrooms are SUPER scary so i totally understand why she'd feel that way. could you try a portable potty seat? like this one? it's got great reviews. i haven't picked it up yet cuz my girl will use the public bathroom as long as i don't flush when she's in the stall. your girl's doing AWESOME though!
    click the pic (blog)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Advice I got from someone was to visit every public restroom everytime you are out to desensitize her. My DD was terrified also, but the way that I got her to go for the first time a public toliet was to sit behind and put her in front of me. Totally disgusting, but it worked and she will use them by herself now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagehoping4sticky:
    Advice I got from someone was to visit every public restroom everytime you are out to desensitize her. My DD was terrified also, but the way that I got her to go for the first time a public toliet was to sit behind and put her in front of me. Totally disgusting, but it worked and she will use them by herself now.

This is what I was thinking about doing, but with all of the other toilets flushing she started to really freak out so we left. Lol I'll try that next time though, and I will just keep taking her to them to check them out. Thank you!

• Options

imagesuperaunt:
    poor baby girl! public bathrooms are SUPER scary so i totally understand why she'd feel that way. could you try a portable potty seat? like this one? it's got great reviews. i haven't picked it up yet cuz my girl will use the public bathroom as long as i don't flush when she's in the stall. your girl's doing AWESOME though!

Thank you! I am extremely proud of her! The only problem is that she has an issue with the flushing too, and most bathrooms we go in have automatic flushing. I can't get her out fast enough because they usually flush when I'm buttoning my pants. Lol 

• Options
    imagemainerocks:

I saw something on the bump once about carrying around sticky notes in the purse, and putting one on the sensor, so that you can just have it flush when YOU want it to.

Maybe in addition to above suggestions, this would help? 

oh wow that's kinda brilliant!

click the pic (blog)
  • Options
    imageCaraLynn91:

imagehoping4sticky:

This is what I was thinking about doing, but with all of the other toilets flushing she started to really freak out so we left. Lol I'll try that next time though, and I will just keep taking her to them to check them out. Thank you!

We have had the most success in restaurant bathrooms, or something a little less intimidating than Walmart. Also, if there is an automatic flush drape some tp in front of the sensor and it won't go off. GL, I wish we were doing as well as you are in the pt'ing dept:)

• Options
    imagemainerocks:

I saw something on the bump once about carrying around sticky notes in the purse, and putting one on the sensor, so that you can just have it flush when YOU want it to.

Maybe in addition to above suggestions, this would help? 

Such a good idea! thank you! 

• Options
    imagehoping4sticky:
    imageCaraLynn91:

imagehoping4sticky:

We have had the most success in restaurant bathrooms, or something a little less intimidating than Walmart. Also, if there is an automatic flush drape some tp in front of the sensor and it won't go off. GL, I wish we were doing as well as you are in the pt'ing dept:)

I didn't even think about covering it up. Dur.  Thank you! I'm surprised she's doing so well, good luck to you and yours! I know I was quite the handful for my mom when it came to potty training. I'm surprised I'm not wearing diapers to this day from how she talks about it. Lol

• Options
    DD, far from potty training, generally is terrified of public bathrooms, due to the flushing.  She won't even wait inside one with me while I pee without a massive meltdown on the order of which she never otherwise has.  So, for us, I'll be using a portable potty for a while (once we get to that stage).
    IMG_8355
  • Options

DD PT at 26 months and did aweseome too but hated public bathrooms and their flushing. At home she wojldnt use the big toilet either for a few weeks. i bkught the Potette Plus 2 in 1 travel potty and it is awesome. initiallg i just kept it in the back of the car ready to go and if we were in the store we woukd run to the car and have her pee. She gradually (and much sooner than expected ) graduated to the big potty at home (with ring) and then pjblic RR with ring. She will  now go on the big tojlet without a ring (but i have to hold her).

use sticky notes for the automatic flushers. it is simple and cheap and it works great. Someone on the bump had mentioned ear muffs for the noise but im not sure if it really blocks it well enough. It still freaks DD out but i just hug her tight and shes usually ok.

Sorry about the typos, im on my phone and autocorrect doesn't want to play mg games.... 

• Options

DD potty trained early too, around 20 months and we never worried about public restrooms bc she was early. When we were ready to start them, she was scared, scared of flushing, scared of the automatic dryers, and just loud noises in general. We had the porta potty that uses disposable diapers to collect whatever she passes. We would always go to the car and set her up in the Trunk of our suv. She eventually learned to hold it longer and I try to limit her liquids if I know we are going to be in a situation that req a potty break.

She is still scared of public restrooms 6 months later. Even if I take her in for me to use them, she gets so terrified. 

• Options
    MyDD was the EXACT same way. You have to stop asking her. Leave it alone and one day it will just happen. Its a control thing. Its one of the only things she can control in her little world. And when it finally happens act like its the best thing ever! I found that when we were out and kept hounding her about it asking all the time over and over if she had to go, that it made it worse and that was when she would have the accidents. Good luck I know its frustrating!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"