Blended Families
Options

Intro and question.

Hello all. I have kind of lurked on this board for several weeks. It is crazy to me how similar a lot of our situations are. I thought I would introduce myself. I have a son, who is 10, that is wonderful and the light of my life. Obvious by my ticker, I am currently pregnant with my second child. I have been divorced from my son's father since he was two years old. Needless to say we have probably been through it all, or so I thought. This brings me to my question. I was wondering if you ladies have ever experienced this or have any insight of what to do. Anyways, I am the primary conservator of my son. So naturally I receive CS. We have had our ups and down with child support, but recently my son's father has been very good about paying. Well, last night I get a letter for the AG stating that I owe them money back as a result of "a posting error, a child support check being returned by the bank unpaid, or...etc". I was very confused as to why I owe them money because as of right now XH still owes for the month of February. I then called XH who informs me that his bank made an unauthorized payment and he cancelled one of the checks. He really couldn't give me too many details, but something in me doubts that he stopped payment on a check when he owes the money anyway. I honestly think he bounced the check, but I am really confused as to why the AG is asking me for the money back when I feel that they should be trying to collect it from XH since he owes. I also do not understand why XH's wages are still not being garnished. Every couple of months I try to get them to do this when he doesn't pay on time. They have yet to do it, but I think this would resolve this issue if the money was coming straight from his checks. It also bothers me that from now on I need to be worried that they are going to disperse money to me and then ask for it back if XH happens to cancel yet another payment. I am not sure which payment they are talking about needing back, but I know that there is at least a gap of two weeks between the original payment and them trying to collect from me. Well, have any of you dealt with this? What would you do? Thanks for listening.

Re: Intro and question.

• Options

What if you say the money has already been spent?

This seems very odd to me.  If anything that would give him a credit if he overpaid.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Karma- to me it sounds like he didn't overpay a check was stopped or bounced.

Any CS agency or AG can collect from you if you are overpaid. Meaning, he may be behind but they overpaid you. I'm sure they are still trying to collect from him but in the meantime, you have money that belongs to someone else really because his payment didn't go through.

Does he have a job where the money can be withheld?  For example, BM's DH is 20K behind in CS because he is a contract worker and is supposed to pay CS himself but doesn't.

When DH was contract, we had to make all the payments ourselves and when he is an employee they are withheld automatically.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    call the number on the letter you received, I am sure they will be happy to explain it to you and answer your quesitons
  • Options
    I'm not sure about the you owing CS agency the money back, but to get X's CS garnished from his wages you need his place of employment (name & address) and their phone number. There is seriously no reason CS shouldn't come out of his checks. I would call the CS agency and ask to speak with a supervisor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"