June 2011 Moms

Potty Training...too early?!

DD is showing a LOT of interest in the potty lately and I'm trying to follow her lead. It started with her imitating wiping hersef then to telling me "poo poo" before or after she went. She insists on sitting on her potty chair when I go to the bathroom or sitting on the big toilet. She pees sometimes and has been pretty proud of herself. I've been indulging her interest but not pressuring her because I'm the one that's really not ready for this - she's pressuring ME and will have a meltdown if she doesn't get her "turn." She demands to sit on the potty like 6 times a day though (with a possible pee around bathtime). The last couple of nights she's seemed very surprised when she started to pee though, stopped mid-stream and then continued to hold it (this makes me nervous that it's not time then). She's also been getting very upset to put the diaper back on (I'm not sure if it's the diaper she doesn't want or if she just really likes to be naked, lol). I've been doing a little potty training reading because it came up on another board. Is this too early to start? I guess I'm not "training" her but again, more indulging her interest. I just don't want to harm the process by letting her do this too early.

Anyone else introducing already? If so, how's it going?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty Training...too early?!

• We are doing the same thing with D. If he asks he sits, if not, no biggie. Today he yelled' poop' while sitting in his highchair, he sat and played for a while then got serious and wanted to get off (insert distraction) and there was poop! and pee. He was more excited to flush the toilet than anything.

As long as you aren't forcing her to sit or scolding her when she it wet you should be good to go.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If she's showing that much interest, absolutely go for it. I have a friend with a daughter the same age as mine, and she had her potty trained at 18 months, so it is possible.

My daughter was just like yours around 18 months -- she was telling me when she had to go, was very interested in using the potty, etc. So, I got her a training potty, and she sat on it a lot (never actually went). So, I started trying to put her on it at regular intervals, and she immediately lost interest. She still tells me when she has a wet or dirty diaper and sits on the potty at least once a day, but she isn't nearly as interested in it. While I slightly fear I missed my window, I also know she's young still and will show interest again. So, we still talk about the potty a lot and sit on it, but I wouldn't say we are potty training by any means because I don't think she's ready yet. I will revisit it as soon as her interest in it piques again.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Currently we are allowing our son to do the same thing with us.  We are not "officially" potty training him since he doesn't tell us every time he has to go but we are helping him to learn.  Hopefully by the time he is two he will be fully potty trained.

• We are almost done with potty training and I'm pretty sure we'll be done by summer. We bought a potty and pullups and we take her every hour.
  • DD is very interested right now too. She loves to come to the bathroom with me, hand me toilet paper and flush the toilet. Sometimes she tells me she has to poop,but I think she is just saying it so she can sit on the potty. I'm not forcing but but it's never to early to get them excited about it IMO. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetas1883:
    That is how we started and now we are completly day trained.  She hasn't worn a diaper during the day since the beginnng of January.  We have our fair share of accidents both at DC and home.  We have to ask her about 50% of the time if she needs to go and that stops her enough to realize she does need to go.  Daycare sits her on at intervals along with their normal diaper change time so she goes about every 1.5 to 2 hours.  If she doesn't go they put her back on in about 15 minutes until she does go.  You should see her daily sheet. Now she is the one pressuring us to do nightime training.  She has been waking at around 1am for the last week or so needing to pee.  She is dry and then proceeds to pee but she doesn't think she needs to go back to bed.  She is also fairly dry when she wakes up and fills her potty chair bowl pretty good.  She gets very upset if her diaper is wet or if she has an accident now. 

What type of daycare do you use?  We use a center and I wonder if they would do the every 15 minute thing when they have 8 kids in the room.  Now I'm curious how this will work eventually!  (we're no where near ready yet.) 

• DD started showing interest around 16months, telling us when she had gone in her diaper and needed a diaper change. We bought her a small seat to go on over the big seat, and let her play with the Ipad when she is on it. I started out putting her on it immediately after she woke in the morning, and after naps. The first time on it (first thing in the morning) she went both pee & poo... Talk about a happy momma. I will give her an M&M or two as a treat as well. We continue to do this first thing in the morning, but throughout the day varies- some days she'll go 6, 7, 8 times on the potty- other days, just once or twice. Im not pushing her, I figure we'll hit potty training harder once summer rolls around (It'll be easier once DS starts sitting up on his own as well!). So for now, its just in the morning and I'll ask her several times a day... I leave it up to her at this point in time.
    Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • Mine is doing the same things and I was just going to post something similar.  DD hates being in a dirty diaper but will not go in her potty.  She will sit on it then stand up and pee or wait until I put her diaper back on.  I'm just going to start encouraging her I guess. 
  • We are opposite of most people, I do not encourage just sitting on the potty.   In our house its "sh!t or get off the pot!"  We wait until they are at least 22 months old and get it all done in three days with Lori Jensen's 3 day PTing.  I have no interest in running to the potty 87 times a day for them to just sit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"