Blended Families

Weigh In #2

We get SS every weekend.

Lately he has been expressing that he does not like the arrangement.  He would prefer to spend weekends at BMs house so he can play outside with his friends.  I would actually prefer this for him as he lives in a really safe area and he can pretty much run around outside, play football and build forts (the latest project!).  The stuff kids should be doing. 

DH and I live out in the country side and there are no kids around his age so he is pretty much stuck with us for the weekend.  I have to admit he spends a lot of it indoors as I am playing catch up form working all week.

Lately he has been asking that we drop him home early on a Sunday so he ?has a least one day to play?.

However, BM has been whispering in my ear that she does not want him home ?to early? (new bf obviously sleeps over).

Last Sunday I broke the news to SS that he was coming to the lakes with DH and I and then we would drop him home.  He was majorly upset and actually cried on the way, lots of ?it?s not fair?  ?I won?t get to play at all? etc...   He did loosen up and enjoy it once we were there.

So here is how this weekend will go...

I will arrive at 5:45pm to collect him.  He will be outside on the green and I will have to pull him away from his friends.  He will walk over all morose and get in the car say ?hi? and ask ?so, what?s the plan?.  DH is working late this eve so the plan pretty much is that SS and I will be home alone.  Tomorrow we will get up and he will watch TV while I clean/vacuum/do laundry etc (I work all week so it?s my only day) but this is the part that gets me.  If he was home he would be outside with the kids.  Then I will take him to football and then home.  DH will be home early so he will hang out with us, we will prob go out to eat or stay in and watch a movie.  Sunday we will have breakfast and go somewhere where the dogs can run/swim etc (it?s their only day!).  So he will see lots of me and some of DH BUT none of his friends.

NOTE:  I do lots of things with him at weekends like trips and going out to lunch where he likes but I can?t do it every weekend.  Last Saturday we spent the entire day in Northern Ireland with my dad, SM, nephew and brother.  We hiked, climbed and played football from morning till late that eve and SS had a blast.  BUT like I say I can?t do that every weekend. 

So is this arrangement fair?  Who is it benefiting?  I don?t want him to resent coming to our house BUT I see why he would.

Last night DH said ?you know I have college on Saturday (he is taking eve classes and one Sat a month) so I will have to work late Friday to get done? .  We talked about it and both feel it would be much better FOR SS if I didn?t collect him until Saturday eve BUT then we are giving up visitation and SS is only 11, we are not ready to let go just yet.  If we suggest it this weekend, what about the next time DH has college or has to work late???  Plus BM works on Saturday and kinda depends on me having him, so her family (who live beside her) would have to step in.

We will stick with it his weekend BUT going forward I really don?t like depriving him of his carefree time with his friends.  Is SS paying the price of what works for BM and DH schedules???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Weigh In #2

• I think 11 is old enough to have some input on how he'd like to spend his free time. If your DH will be home late tonight, then gone the first part of tomorrow, it makes sense to let SS stay home and spend time with his friends. You can pick him up tomorrow and take him to practice, then continue your weekend as a family as planned.

ETA just reread your post. So, going forward maybe just the weekends DH has school, you pick up SS on Saturday instead of Friday. That way, you're not giving up time EVERY weekend but SS still gets weekend time with his friends. I think it's a reasonable compromise.

"Man, be creative. Like the stuff you do. Do nice things. Love respectfully. Laugh a fucking lot. Curse when you feel like it. Life is cool." - Jean Grae

image image
    M (3/9/02) and E (2/28/12)

• Can one of his friends have a sleepover at your house? Are sleepovers common there?
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Loading the player...
  • Considering BM works every Saturday, I don't see how it's beneficial for him to be at her place. What if you worked something out with her so he got home early Sunday? That way he would have all of Sunday afternoon to play with his friends?

Or work out an every other week-end schedule and see him some weekday evenings?

• Do you guys have a gym or a pool nearby? On bored weekends I'll take SS to our local Y so he can swim or play in the older kids area while I work out or work on my phone.

In general I don't think you should give up time and instead make the time more meaningful. With SS we will do a chore then something fun, like he may vacuum while I mop then we go to the indoor pool. Win win for both of us because chores get done faster so there's time for something fun.

Id say when they're driving around 16 they can decide not to come or spend whole weekends
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJ&A2008:
    Can one of his friends have a sleepover at your house? Are sleepovers common there?

Yes.  We have had his bff D out a couple of times.  T is not allowed come to our house because him mom is terrified of dogs and we have three.  T2 does not do  sleepovers (his choice) but SS has had several at his house.

Still though again its not something I want to do every weekend.

• imagekatie_cj@hotmail.com:

Considering BM works every Saturday, I don't see how it's beneficial for him to be at her place. What if you worked something out with her so he got home early Sunday? That way he would have all of Sunday afternoon to play with his friends?

This is what I am leaning towards BUT DH and BM may not agree.

• How about dropping in him off after lunch on sun. That way he has all afternoon to play with friends. I think BMs new BF could get his butt up by noon, so that should be a good compromise. Otherwise, you may have to incorporate more friend time on Sat right after football. Would that be possible?
  • I like the noon on Sunday idea, too, as long as it works out for his friends.  Some families hold Sundays for family time, so there might not be as much playing in the neighborhood, but I guess that's here, not there.

It still sounds like BM is being irresponsible.  I thought having a boyfriend might mean she'd slow down and spend less time at the bar and out drinking, but it doesn't really sound like she picked a winner.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • imagePhantomgirl:
    imagekatie_cj@hotmail.com:

Considering BM works every Saturday, I don't see how it's beneficial for him to be at her place. What if you worked something out with her so he got home early Sunday? That way he would have all of Sunday afternoon to play with his friends?

But I always thought the agreement was for BM before anyone else. She wanted her time.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • This is a tough one.  I keep waiting for this to come up more with my SD.  She's 13, and I know it must be hard to not have weekends to be with her friends.  As she gets older, I think this will be a big problem for us.  However, DH misses her and wants to see her as much as possible.  We only get her EOWE, but sometimes things do still get in the way.  We try and switch when we can if there are birthday parties or whatever to go to.  We feel it isn't fair for her to have to miss those kinds of things just because her parents happen to be divorced and she has to switch houses all the time.  It's certainly not her fault.

Weekends are the best times to be outside playing with friends.  He is missing out on a lot here.  School days aren't as fun because there is less time due to school itself, homework, and being in bed earlier.  I think it is hard on a child to make them give up every single weekend just because his parents aren't together anymore.  I would seriously think about modifying the schedule so that you get him EOWE.  Or at least let him have the weekend your DH has college at home every month.  The point of him visiting is to spend time with his father, and if he's not doing that he shouldn't have to give up so much time with his friends.  If BM has to work, can she arrange with some of his friends' parents for him to hang out there until she gets home?  That way he gets to play with his friends and she doesn't have to worry so much about it.  And as for the BF, she needs to remember who is more important.  If she needs to make adjustments with him for her son, then so be it.  It's called parenting.

• is EOW with a couple days during the weeks you don't have the weekend an option? I know you guys used to have that, and BM sort of forced you into this every weekend thing and you didn't like it when it happened. I'm wondering if your H and BM need to sit down (I know I know... they don't communicate well. Maybe you can mediate? I know you hate that...) and discuss the situation. I know she wants her weekends to do whatever, but she needs to consider what is happening with SS and see that it isn't healthy for him right now. If he is to the point where he is in tears at the age he is at, he really does want to be with his friends. This is a delicate age with friends as well. This is sort of the age where kids start solidifying their friendships and bonding more. I can completely understand him wanting to be home. is EOW off the table?
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • imagePhantomgirl:
    imagekatie_cj@hotmail.com:

Clearly I didn't read comments first. Disregard my suggestion, except the part about maybe mediating them and trying to get them to realize this is for SS, not them.  

Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • As the skids are older they are here less - because what you articulate happened, they were begging to see friends, then they were sullen....it deteriorated to where they were outright hostile at having to be here, not with their friends.  No one had a good weekend.

If you can get BM to help you meet SS in the middle that might help.  The other thing we did was organize sleepovers for SD/SS with their friends on our time at their friend's homes (their friends were not allowed to come here because BM told their parents DH was an abusive alcoholic with a temper and that I am so bad I am not even allowed in their town - that I will be arrested if I go there - can you say crazy?) - because like you, BM was not willing to have the kids "on her time".  As the skids complained more and more to BM she lets them stay with her more.

We also do random things with skids that are not on the schedule.  I think with older kids that becomes a neccessity.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So what was DH's plan again?  How about HE work it out.

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • imageIlumine:

So what was DH's plan again?  How about HE work it out.

Yes Ilumine this is, of course, another post.

DH told me to 'do what I think is best'.  He said it will not bother him one way or another.

Why would it?

• I think dropping off Sunday afternoon is a good idea.

Also, are you sure there is no other time you can clean/do laundry/vacuum other than Friday night? I find when SS is upset about coming, starting the weekend off with something upbeat and fun will help him be less upset and mopey. Maybe call him Thursday night and plan something you both can look forward to Friday evening.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• I know it is just kind of how the two of you do things, but I am with Illumine on this one.

How about HE work it out. Tell him your concerns. Then let HIM do it.

At the same time I realize, though, that you seem to be the one thinking of SS first and foremost most of the time. Not trying to bash your H, but I can't help but think he is REALLY taking advantage of you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"