School-Aged Children

Another Knife At School Incident

Okay, so a few days ago (few posts below this) a mom posted about an incident at her child's elementary school in which a child brought a knife to school.

My son's school had a similar incident this week, although I think the way it was handled was much better.  First I heard about it was this note in DS's folder:

Dear Parent:

The purpose of this letter is to inform you of an incident that took place at ____ school this morning.

A fourth grade student brought a small knife to school and showed it to several students in his class.  It does not appear that the student meant any harm.  The incident was quickly reported to a staff member and the student was brought to the office.  As a matter of procedure, the student's parents were called, _____ school system officials were notified and consulted, and the ______ police were contacted.

Please know that this is an isolated incident and the school day was not interrupted, nor were any classes impacted, because of this incident.  All fourth grade students were reminded that only materials necessary for their learning should be brought to school and that weapons of any kind are strictly prohibited.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call ______. 

When I read this I felt informed and satisfied that the incident had been handled appropriately without being sensationalized or minimized.

Thoughts? 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Another Knife At School Incident

• Sounds like it was handled much better.

• Hi! Im the mom who posted before. That note sounds great. A few of the moms who responded to me said maybe there will be a note in the bookbag when she got home. There wasnt. No one has said a word. I have a parent teacher conf. tomorrow so Im going to express my concerns. Im sure the incident that happened at my daughters school was the same that happened at your sons but it wouldve been nice to have a note come home like that one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"