Preemies

Just found out I will be delivering at 32 weeks help

I have been having extreme rib pain and numbness for the past 3 weeks. I look like I am either 40 weeks or carrying twins. Well I went to OB today and he did an ultrasound. It turns out that I have a massive ovarian cyst. It starts basically under my breast and is 1/2 moon shaped it goes all the way down under by belly button. I will be getting more info tomorrow. Today they started to give me steroids to prepare the baby for early delivery since with the baby growing and the size of the cyst my breathing is going to become extremely labored and it will start to push on blood vessels. The gave me an estimate of two weeks before delivery and I am now on complete bed rest. I am only 30 weeks and they estimate the baby is 3lbs 4oz. Anyone has to deal with something like this? What can I expect with delivering that early and advice is appreciated. TIA

Re: Just found out I will be delivering at 32 weeks help

• My water broke at 30 weeks 5 days, and they were able to keep her in me for one more week, DD was born via c-section at 31 weeks 5 days :D They told me she would be about 3.5 pounds, and she was actually 4 pounds 9 ounces!  She didn't need any assistance breathing, and was in the NICU for 31 days total.  She was fed via NG tube for the first 2.5 weeks (then she took her first bottle at 2.5 weeks), she was able to regulate her temp by the 2nd week.  When we took her home she weighed 5 pounds 6 ounces and now weighs 10 pounds 10 ounces (DD is almost 17 weeks old).  Good luck!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'm sorry you're going to delivery early! I wish you didn't have to join Preemieland but we're a supportive group. The first thing I'd do is try not to compare preemies born at the same gestational age (GA). Each is different. NICU is a whole new world - get a tour so you can see it first. A bunch of the moms here put together a blog - the link is on the Preemie Board up at the top. There is a list of things to share with friends/family on how they can help and tons of birth stories.

Feel free to bring up anything here. Oh, pumping. You will be handed a pump right after delivery and BF'ing while in NICU may or may not work out. Every drop will count - even if you need to pick it up with a dropper. Their tummies are tiny.

So I'd learn about pumping/power pumping and things you can do while in NICU that your nurses might not tell you: taking temperatures, changing diapers, decorating their incubators - stuff like that. There is a good book called Preemies - thick. The sooner you get that the more useful. https://www.amazon.com/Preemies-Second-Essential-Parents-Premature/dp/1416572325/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361418130&sr=1-1&keywords=preemies

FWIW I delivered at 30.6 and DS weighed 3 lbs 11 oz and was 17 in. I didn't know babies lost weight (FTM!) so when he dipped to 3 the next morning I freaked. We spent 58 days in NICU.

xx 

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome and best of luck
    For keeping the baby in asking as safely possible. It's great that you are getting the steroid shots!

Nicu is a rollercoaster and I agree with urbanflowerpot. You can't really compare preemies because they are all so different. Ask lots of questions and be as involved as possible.

Fwiw my son was born at 31w5d and he had both shots. He was always on room air and had no breathing problems. He weighed 3 lbs 5 oz when he was born and had a 26 day stay. I personally think I ovulated earlier than they think and he was a bit older but what do I know?

Keep us posted.
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Oh man, I'm sorry your having to join us. But like the other mama's have said, we are very supportive group. My oldest was born at 33w 4d and was 4lbs 10.5 oz, 18.5 inches at birth. She spent 13 days in the NICU, mainly as a feeder/grower. My second DD was born last march at 34w5d and was 5lbs 5oz and 19 inches at birth. She had a totally different NICU experience then her sister. She had trouble with apenea and brady's and gaining weight. She spent 14 days in the NICU and now is almost a year old and a big girl.

Please keep us posted, praying that you can hold off another 2 weeks. 

•  Preemies can vary so very much, that the only advice I would have is to speak to a neonatologist at the hospital about what they think you can expect based on your situation, and tour the NICU, if possible. It's great that you are getting the steroid shots. I'm sorry you find yourself here, but good luck!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Sorry you have to be here -- but this is a great resource for what you're about to go through. It sounds like your LO is at a great weight!

Like PPs have said, everyone's experience is very unique -- so it's hard to say what yours will look like. For us, our girls were born at 29.5w, weighing 2.5lbs each. They were on CPAP right away (one had to be intubated to get surfactant into her lungs the day she was born), and over time moved to lower flow oxygen via a nasal cannula. We had an 81-day NICU stay (which was thankfully uneventful -- albeit long), but feeding issues added probably a month to that stay -- they were slow learners when it came to bottle feeding. One came home on the slightest bit of o2, which we weaned just a week ago (and she's doing great without it!)

My best advice would be to take things day by day. You will get frustrated, and you will have days that feel like a thousand steps backward. Be involved and ask tons of questions -- learn as much as you can! Even with the army of nurses and docs that will be assigned to your LO, there's only one mom. :) Really celebrate the small steps in the right direction.

GL, and definitely use this board as a resource to vent, ask questions, and celebrate even the smallest of successes! 

TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My DD was born at 32 weeks. My water broke unexpectedly after a healthy and problem-free pregnancy. I went to the hospital to get checked out and they put be on bedrest at the hospital to keep her inside me for as long as possible. She lasted 2 days and I gave birth to her naturally. Luckily they gave me the steroid shots to boost her lungs. Totally helped! She was born 3 lbs 9 oz and 17.5 inches long. She was healthy and came out crying immediately. She was a grower/feeder in the NICU and had an uneventful 3 week stay. The NICU nurses were great! I wish you the best of luck. Babies are stronger than we think.They're fighters. I pray your LO will be healthy and strong. My DD is now 5 months old and weighs over 11 lbs. She's happy and healthy! Keep us posted.  

• Aw sweetie sorry you are going through this. You must be so scared! I was shaking when I was told I would deliver "tomorrow. At 31 weeks". At least I only had 12 hours to worry about it! Everyone is different, but I wanted to offer a hopeful outcome. I had 3 babies at 31 weeks. All 3 are beautiful, healthy, and happy. Yes the nicu sucked, yes leaving the hospital without a baby was heart wrenching. But it's only temporary. Putting yourself in good hands is the best thing you can do. And you've already done that! Try your best to enjoy bedrest, we look forward to your updates.
    4/13/12--1st u/s. IDENTICAL TRIPLETS (?!?) PAIF and SAIF welcome Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I delivered at 32 weeks due to surprise PTL. He was very healthy for his GA. We were in the NICU for 24 days, but it was a relatively easy stay. His only issue was learning how to eat.

Steroid shots are going to be a big help for LO. You both are in good hands. This board is a great support system as well. GL!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"