TTC after 35

IUI #1 epic fail

Hello ladies.  I've gained so much comfort from lurking on this site, I feel compelled to share my own story for wahtever comfort it may bring someone else.  I am 38 and I've never been pregnant.  DH and I have been trying to conceive for 4 years.  He had a surgery to correct vericosele and I had a polyp removed from my uterus.  We never tried clomid and timed intercourse, but decided to go straight to IUI.   We did this on January 31, 2013.  The 2 week wait after the procedure was horrible. I was so excited before the procedure the long push to testing time was almost impossible to endure. I felt so confident that it would work, but all I got were BFNs. Those early ones really messed with my head. I'm not sure that I'll allow myself to do them again next time--I might just wait for the missed period.

7th BFN at the end of 2ww.  But no AF.  Two days later, 2 more BFNs and still no AF.  I'm never late.  I think the Clomid might be messing with my cycle--or am I pregnant and just low in hcg?  Two days of torture until the doc finanally ordered a beta.  Negative.  10 minutes after getting the results, AF shows up.  Of course. 

So, today is Day 2 of a brand new cycle, and I went back to the OB to start it all over again.  Tomorrow I'll begin my 5 days of clomid, then start testing for surge....you know the drill.

Overall, it has been one of the most exhausting months of my life.  I feel more prepared for a less stressful 2nd attempt, now that all the excitement and inevitable crashing are out of the way.  If it isn't easier, I'll definately need a break before attempt #3.

So that's my story so far.  Thanks for reading.

38 TTC 4 years 1/31/13 1st IUI with Clomid

Re: IUI #1 epic fail

• I am so sorry it didn't work out, I understand that rush of excitment and disappointment.

Do you know how large your follies were? Are the considering using a trigger to make sure its all timed correctly - perhaps you did that and I am just unaware.

I wish you all the best

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Sorry about the BFN.  Clomid can definitely mess with your cycle -- it can lengthen your luteal phase, particularly if your LP was on the short side previously.  Good luck with your next with your next attempt!
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally feel your pain.  My 1st IUI was an epic fail as well.  I am currently 11DPIUI#2 and I tested this morning and it was negative.  I feel like AF is on its way anytime now.  My RE will only do 3 IUI's before I have to IVF.  That is not an option for us, and I don't think adoption is either.  I am not ready to come to terms with not being a mother.  Sorry to go on and on.

I wish you all the best

• Welcome to the group....sorry that your cycle was not successful.  Hoping that you are under the care of a RE and are being monitored during your cycle.   GL!!  TTC is all consuming at times and full of getting your hopes up, and a lot of letdowns:-(. Hope that you get lucky and get to move on to pg >35
    TTC since 10/09 Me-43 DH-44 RE and testing 10/10-11/10, Recommending IVF 1/11 New RE AMA and DOR-DH low motility IVF #1.1 cancelled 3/11 due to poor response IVF #1.2 May 2011, one perfect 8-cell embryo, 3dt-BFN, IVF #2.1 Converted to IUI d/t poor response. New RE 9/2011. IVF 2.2 completed using HGH,EPP,DHEA, Q-10 and accupuncture. Transferred one 8-cell, grade one embryo on 10/19. BFP 10/31/11 Chemical pregancy on 11/2/11. Started stims for IVF #3, our final try, on 12-2-11. ET on 12/18. Transferred 3 Grade A embryos-BFFN Planning DE IVF, late March/early April- Donors ER expected to be 4/2-4/4. PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • imagehappywifemomofone:
    Welcome to the group....sorry that your cycle was not successful.  Hoping that you are under the care of a RE and are being monitored during your cycle.   GL!!  TTC is all consuming at times and full of getting your hopes up, and a lot of letdowns:-(. Hope that you get lucky and get to move on to pg >35

This....and, Best of Luck to you and your DH.....

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 15 to 80 day cycle tickers
  • I am so sorry that IUI#1 didn't work for you- it often takes several attempts for them to be successful.

That being said.... I would encourage you to seek treatment from an RE. OBGYNs are not fertility experts.. they are great for basic stuff, but at 38 I would run to an RE. They are in the business of getting women pregnant.  I would encourage you to lurk over in TTTC board where those ladies are going through treatments and can be an awesome source of info and encouragement. There is an IUI check in etc...

***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Thanks--that's good advice.  I looked into it and found one.  I'll make an appointment if the 2nd IUI fails. 
    38 TTC 4 years 1/31/13 1st IUI with Clomid
  • Wow, sorry to hear about your disappointment. Welcome to the board and Good Luck!
    My Ovulation Chart Me-35, DH-39. TTC#1
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"